Analog Switch

Anyone know of an analog switch that can handle -6V to +11V inputs (low current, high Ron OK), +/-12V supplies? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

DG408 family.

ADG411 / DG411...

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

And DG441 series. All the same sort of thing.

I've been using the ADG1411YRUZ which is pin compatible with a Maxim part but in a slightly different package. They have the same pitch but different body widths so a footprint can be used which will work with both. I'd have to dig up a Maxim PN since we have never used them in production. It might be MAX4662. The Maxim part has a logic supply pin and the ADI part does not. The Maxim part also goes high impedance when not powered which the ADI part does not, if I remember.

--

Rick
Reply to

Thanks to all!

Anyone know of a Spice model? I can wing it behaviorally (it's an audio application), but the customer would be more impressed if I had an ADI model ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It's just a switch, pretty simple, not the sort of things that people furnish models for. The only tricky parts are charge injection and what happens if the analog inputs try to go past the supply rails.

Some analog switches do some fairly odd things to get lower on-resistance, like driving the back-gate (well) that one of the pass transistors sits in. They switch the back-gate either to one of the supply rails (to prevent diodes conducting when it is off) or to the signal path (to reduce on-resistance when it is on). If they don't get the non-overlapping gate drive right for the switches that drive the backgate, then the signal path gets momentarily shorted to one of the supply rails, which is not great in switched capacitor circuits, where you probably want charge to be conserved, and could give an unwanted kick to other circuits too. Even if they get the non-overlapping gate drive just right, some chunk of charge mysteriously disappears from the signal path into the well, to charge up the well when the switch operates. For some things the 4016 is better than the 4066, even if the on-resistance might be worse.

If you were designing a circuit where you care about charge going missing, or distortion due to variation of on-resistance with signal voltage, or distortion due to junction capacitance varying with signal voltage, then you might want a transistor level model.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

CD4016 plus a 7906 regulator?