Analog dynamic range, accuracy and number of bits

more

get

the

anything

in

that

systems,

more

and

Correct. Thank you Fred.

Reply to
josephkk

necessarily

cultural

Smarter than little Willie then.

;-)

Reply to
josephkk

the

necessarily

cultural

Pretty much true, but i have seen current as J. Not quite the same thing though, kind of a generalization for use with plasmas and Maxwell's laws.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

They paid enough that they didn't have to watch their p's and q's properly.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

handle

Two things:

The way the certification process works.

They want new features that are not possible by just instrumenting rotating disk types.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I'm not defining it. I'm telling you what the industry conventions are.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Sure, use sign-magnitiude if you like. It's somewhere in the computer history books.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You mean for values >1 and

Reply to
krw

That would have been current *density*. Not just current.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Where real power may be positive or negative and apparent power is always positive. Therefore PF can be negative.

One such case is where an induction motor becomes driven above synchronous speed by another motor. Measuring Irms and Vrms tells little about this condition whereas real power will be negative.

Reply to
John S

Define things any way that suits you. The utilities and the measurement community have conventions of their own.

If the voltage and current waveforms are known, that's the whole story. Sample, multiply, and integrate and you get true, signed power. You can then, if you like, map the waveforms into concepts like positive and negative power, and leading and lagging (or even negative) power factor, and get confused.

I designed a bunch of cogenerator remote control and metering boxes, for the now-defunct Microcogen Company. The idea was to burn natural gas in a piston engine, generate electricity, and get as much hot water as a water heater would have made, for restaurants and such. My controller did measure signed power and unsigned PF. It was an induction generator so the phase angle was never in doubt. The cogen system worked, but the economics weren't worth the hassle.

Burning gas to heat water is inefficient; there must be a better way. With fracking making gas cheap, it won't happen soon.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

since power factor is defined as EI cos(phi), it carries no sign.

What does, though, is the reactive part of the load impedance, and the
detection of that sign is what'll be used to determine the means to
reduce the difference between the phase angle of the current and
voltage to zero.
Reply to
John Fields

Except when people need it to have a sign, then they give it one. In other words, they use a different definition from yours.

Words don't matter as much as waveforms.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Larkin bloviates. ...Jim Thompson

Perhaps. How many utilities need to provide power factor correction for a capacitive (leading) load?

( Snipped bragging )

Maybe other engineers, such as myself, do not suffer from confusion as you do.

Reply to
John S

Only in the special case of sine waves. Ex. cos(100) is negative. This can happen if the load begins to drive the source.

Actually, isn't power factor defined as P/VA? P is average (integral V*I*dt), and VA is Vrms and Irms? It is what I used when dealing with the power factor of large SCR-controlled rectifier bridges.

Reply to
John S

be

Probably none, but once some correction has been kicked in, the resulting net PF and lead/lag status must be known to close a control loop. Caps are selectable in discrete steps, and synchronous PF correctors are continuously adjustable. You can't close a control loop very well if you don't know which direction to go.

Well, I have designed a lot of power metering and control gear. How about you?

I'm not confused about this stuff. In a power system, voltage and current waveforms have relative timing that matters. In some cases, we couldn't get the customers to agree on terminology (especially for electronic loads) so we just delivered the actual waveforms and let them decide what to call them.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

When you design electronic power meters, by all means do it your way.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I've seen residential meters like that, a disk and electronics, no mechanical register.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'd use lower case for the v(t) and i(t) but, yes, that's the general definition, good for any waveforms.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany