Analog dynamic range, accuracy and number of bits

E gets confused with electric field--having a quantity and its line integral called by the same symbol is, *ahem*, suboptimal.

Technical vocabulary is funny, especially in EE and other engineering fields. Normally it's sort of folksy but very descriptive, e.g. "soakage" or "walkoff". Sometimes it's quite irrational, though--everybody says "voltage" for "potential", but if you say "amperage" for "current", everybody laughs at you.

The Brits used to call it "electric tension". Do you UK folks really say "the tension at this point is fifteen millivolts?"

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They say lots of weird things. I blame Lucas for the poor lighting and all that warm beer they drink. It really messes with their minds! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

U and V both are and u and v for that matter after that you end up with subscripts - though I have seen S,s & T,t used in hand based analysis.

No, but we still talk of HT and EHT even today.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Lucas, Prince of Darkness ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Seen on a T shirt:

E/C^2 -1^-2 PV/nR

JT should know this one.

Reply to
tm

M 1 T?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Except tommorow, when he's the 'Prince of Dorkieness'.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just design the amplifiers to have 0.2 degrees relative phase shift. If that's right to 10%, it's plenty good enough.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Incwww.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

A 100 amp class meter might be designed to clip at 200 amps peak or so. The occasional monster current spike, like a short or a nasty motor start, will have so little total energy that it won't matter.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You fail (no surprises).

Reply to
krw

I think it should be E/C^2 (-1)^1/2 PV/nR

For mjT, of course, or miT if you're not an EE.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Perhaps it was actually (-1)**(1/2), rather than (-1)**(-2) ?

Which for engineers is of course mjT. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Naaaah! The math classes used "i". I was already out of MIT before I encountered the use of "j" ...Jim Thompson

I use "i" for physics problems, where the forward Fourier transform in time is +i*2*pi*f*t, and "j" for EE, where the forward transform is

-j*2*pi*f*t, because it reminds me what the sign convention is.

Physicists care about spatial transforms more than EEs do, and a positive-going plane wave is exp(+-i*(k*x- omega*t)), so you can't have both frequencies positive and deal with positive-going waves--you have to pick your favourite two out of three.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

cultural

I use "j" exclusively now for complex expressions, and have no trouble with +/- for direction of the wave >:-} ...Jim Thompson

cultural

I doubt you have to worry much about wave propagation on-chip. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

message

cultural

Getting close to that... latest stuff is 40nm feature size. ...Jim Thompson

message

cultural

Nah, you're all RC transmission lines, and the clock frequencies stopped increasing years ago.

An interesting bit of work just came in--building SPICE models of an ion-trap mass spectrometer. The current product works OK, but apparently was designed by a chemist, so there are a few production problems and lots of mysteries.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Not always. You can dig a trench in a lots-of-metal-layers process, line it with vias and get a not-quite-as-horrible transmission liney sort of thing, or pattern a spiral on top to make a crappy inductor. Typical Q is a max of 10 at a few gigs, but it's an inductor alright.

IIRC, picosecond stuff (pulse gens, samplers) are built on monolithic InP using schottky loaded transmission lines. I guess the Q of the stuff is pretty good to do that. "Dielectric loss" of silicon shottkies can be nasty in certain applications.

Hmm, that is interesting.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.