Analog dynamic range, accuracy and number of bits

How does that work exactly?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

At the old house (1969-1994) I had a (underground) neutral go resistive. Furnace blower would come on and half the lights in the house would dim, half would brighten.

I called APS and the token dumb blond lipped me.

I returned the compliment ;-) Which got me in direct touch with an engineer.

They had a temporary (above-ground) neutral installed within the hour... a cable about as thick as my wrist ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Magik?

Reply to
John S

On 11/14/2012 4:39 PM, rickman wrote: My house *still* has the same disk meter

Probably because they work so well.

Reply to
John S

I do hope you are writing "a cable about as thick as my wrist" as an embellishment. If so, I can deal with that.

Reply to
John S

OTOH, maybe you have a really tiny wrist. I didn't consider that.

Reply to
John S

the

Yes. Correct description of the situation is crucial to understanding what is correct or incorrect operation.

applies.

That depends a lot on how the rectifier is connected and just what is connected for legs. If the rectifier is across 240 from a 120/240 system no neutral current (harmonic or otherwise) flows; very different from

3-phase systems.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

such

It has been a long time since i saw normal equipment using a half-wave rectifier. That pretty well went out with 5 tube radios. I don't think i have ever seen it from each line directly, always a transformer in-between.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

meter

the

is

Not in initial cost, though that may change in time. It is total cost of over the lifetime, including things like paying for meter readers.

Not only that it likely can support co-generation if it is of better grade (can run backwards to reflect your co-generation power) IFF tariffed at the same rate.

Reply to
josephkk

The problem is that the PFC requirements apply only for large (over 70 W in Europe IIRC) but there are millions and millions of small CFL and LED lights that are not required to include PFC, all drawing current only at the top of the waveform.

Reply to
upsidedown

It's common to use a diode as a two-step incandescent dimmer or hi/lo heater controller. I've always wondered what a DC line current component would do to an electric meter... maybe slow the disk on mechanical ones, saturate a CT?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Add corrosion to earth points due to DC component running to ground.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Well, that's why I said *may*. Figuring out for which conditions this is actually true is left as an exercise for the assiduous student.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen

In Europe, tube TV sets were equipped with PY series half wave rectifiers (later selenium/silicon) in order to produce about +200 V anode voltage.

With the quite large distribution districts (400-1000 m) from the distribution transformer, it was quite likely that about 50 % of the TV sets were plugged one way, while the other 50 % were plugged in the opposite way, so there was not a large risk to a DC bias or second harmonics problem.

While I have personally experimented with a rectifier as power control, I have never heard of any commercial product (in Europe) doing this (more likely various serial/parallel systems).

Reply to
upsidedown