Amplify signal from 20V to 220V

I have a low power signal generator, generating 20V peak to peak signal. I want to amplify the signal to 220V in order to pass 1 Amp from a coil.

Using a transformer ONLY is not a solution. Although I have increased the voltage to 170 Volts Peak to Peak I can pass only a few mili amps threw the coil. This was expected.

Does any of you know how to amplify my signal from the generator to

220 V and to be able to pass a current of about 1 amp?

Are there any power amplifiers that can do this job?

Efthimios

Reply to
Efthimios

- What is the frequency range?

- Are you saying you got the 170V with the coil connected? If so you won't get much increase with 220V.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

--
http://eportal.apexmicrotech.com/mainsite/
Reply to

Just get an old stereo amp or receiver and drive a step-up transformer. We use a 400 watt/channel Peavey to simulate AC power systems. One channel steps up to as high as 480 RMS to simulate a power line voltage, and the other steps down to 200 amps RMS to drive a current transformer.

John

If this is for a production environment, there is an entire arm of the industry that has pre-built solutions.

These are readily available on the used equipment market.

JeffM

What frequency? What is the resistance and reactance of the coil?

Those things determine what voltage it will take to get one amp through the coil.

If you know you need 220 volts (is that RMS or P-P?) at one amp - then you need an amplifier with that output at whatever frequency you will use.

An audio power amp with a transformer output may be the most cost effective way to do it - you're talking about 220 watts - signal generator outputs are usually on the order of 1 volt or 10 volts into

600 ohms for audio work - or a few milliwatts.
Reply to
default