Power output estimation of an Amplifier

The power of amplifiers is given in relation to the impedance of the speakers ( 200W @ 8 ohms).

Since I want to bye an amplifier and connected to a coil with grater impendence I will need the following info:

Does any of you know how to estimate the power output for grater impendence of a commercial amplifier.

Is the relation between Ohms and Watts linear so I can extrapolate to the required impendence from the data given from the manufacturers?

Brgds

Efthimios

Reply to
Efthimios

The first order (simple approximation) rule is that if you double the load resistance, the power falls by half, or that the output power is inverse to the load resistance. In reality, if you buy an amplifier rated at 200 watts into an

8 ohm load and you use it on a 16 ohm load, you might get a little more than 100 watts out of it.

The inverse resistance rule assumes that the power supply voltage sets a pretty strict limit on the output voltage the amplifier can deliver. So if you double the load resistance, that same voltage will produce only half the load current, so about half the power. What this misses is that the supply voltage sags as it is loaded, and driving higher resistance loads, it will sag less.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to