Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!

These EL (Electro Luminicense) foils are for LCD backlight.
They make nice even light, you can cut them in shape too.
Run on about 80V AC, little converter makes it run on battery from .7 to 5 V.

My first idea was to use it as message board...
  http://panteltje.com/pub/EL_foil_message_board_IMG_3754.GIF
put it in front of window, text can be written with a marker,
and wiped off the plastic.
Then I realized it could work as microscope backlight,
always there is this problem when looking for alien life forms etc,
to get even light, either with a mirror or some sort of bulb.
I tried it at 5V, and it works !
This is how much light (with bright surrounding fluorescent light) it gives at
5V!
 http://panteltje.com/pub/EL_foil_as_microscope_backlight_IMG_3756.GIF
If I can find the adaptor I will later perhaps post a picture of a sample under
the microscope with this as backlight.
Color could be better perhaps...

Has been done before?
If not hereby donated into the public domain.
Mention Jan Panteltje on your product :-)
:-)

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!

How do you keep 'em dry when cut?
I used to work for an EL panel company.  Keeping moisture
out was a MAJOR issue.

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
On a sunny day (Sat, 29 Dec 2012 10:09:09 -0800) it happened mike

Well, I guess you should not cut them when you are going to expose it to
moisture,
or embed them in some extra plastic (foil).
That should not be difficult, perhaps some plastic spray would already do.
The shop who sold me these stated they can be cut.
You do not have to cut these to use as microscope backlight, just put under
the glass.

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
moisture,

I've been out of the biz for almost two decades.  Maybe they're better now.
At the time, moisture was a BIG deal.  There was more than enough
humidity in a dry climate to seriously shorten the life of EL.
Plastic wasn't nearly dense enough.
You can see it in the  EL night lights.  They rarely last a year.

The place I worked fused another glass pane on the back and filled
the gap with oil.

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
On a sunny day (Sat, 29 Dec 2012 16:23:03 -0800) it happened mike

moisture,

Interesting, seems today same problem with OLEDs (organic LEDs).
I did read some datasheet of an OLED  module, and they were paranoia about
moisture too.
Don't know how long these strips I have will last, but for microscope
work they would not be on 100% of the time.
I will run one continuously for a while, but humidity is pretty low here, 60 to
70 percent.
The generated heat should evaporate moisture too?

The other idea I had was make a big 7 segment lighting clock with these strips,
I can get them cheap..
To switch the AC put each of them in a bridge,
29 strips (1 for the double dot between hours and minutes),
28 transistors (no multiplex) and 2 20 pin PICs [because I have many of those]
(one forwarding time via logic level RS232 to the next one,
and one power sine wave generator with output AC stabilization (driven from 1
PIC PWM out,
as switching in more or less segments changes load...
Just enough pins!
I am just put of a bit by the color of these things, brightness is really good.

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 09:29:48 GMT, Jan Panteltje

---
You can get EL in different colors, and you can also shift the color
towards blue by increasing the frequency of the driving voltage.

--
JF

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Dec 2012 13:27:04 -0600) it happened John Fields

good.

Thanks.
Yes I have observed the color change.
White would be nice.
Having different colored strips would also be nice.

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 19:56:19 GMT, Jan Panteltje

good.
---
http://www.e-lite.com/catalog/

--
JF

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:19:19 -0600) it happened John Fields

good.

Hey, nice stuff.
I really did not know they made pure white.
It is US based, and no prices, and no rep in Europe it seems.
Could become expensive ...
Now that I know whioe exists I will google locally a bit to see if anything
comes up for
small quantities.
Thanks!

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!

comes up for

Here are some prices:

http://www.e-lite.com/PDF/FLATLITE%20DemoKit%20Order&CreditForm.pdf

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
On a sunny day (Mon, 31 Dec 2012 06:28:22 -0600) it happened G. Morgan

comes up for

Thanks.
It is expensive, been looking on ebay, China has it all..

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:19:19 -0600) it happened John Fields

PS ebay has it all,
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grap-White-1M-EL-Wire-Neon-Glow-Car-Party-Strip-Light-with-Battery-Pack-/190768743729?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item2c6ab40531
Look at the pictures of these guys!
:-)

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
Did not find the adaptor, at least not all parts of it...
made some shots with tripod and camera above microscope:
 http://panteltje.com/pub/microscope_EL_backlight_pollen_50x_distance_by_hand_IMG_3757.GIF
 http://panteltje.com/pub/microscope_EL_backlight_pollen_100x_IMG_3765.GIF
 http://panteltje.com/pub/microscope_EL_backlight_pollen_off_center_IMG_3771.GIF
Sorry if focus is not 100%, very difficult to do it that way (super macro
manual).
Anyway, although the EL foil is slightly speckled, this does not show,
as the speckles are out of focus when focusing on what you want to see.

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!

http://panteltje.com/pub/microscope_EL_backlight_pollen_50x_distance_by_hand_IMG_3757.GIF
http://panteltje.com/pub/microscope_EL_backlight_pollen_off_center_IMG_3771.GIF
manual).
I would have thought that one of the modern white LED packages with a
flat face, and roughly 120 degree radiation pattern would make a good
microscope light.  At least adjusting the current would change the
brightness without much change to the color temperature, unlike what
happens with a filament lamp.

You do have to be aware though that any 'white' phosphor source has in
fact a lot of spikes and dips in the actual output with frequency.
Probably the same applies to EL lights.  Sometimes this might make the
color rendering misleading.

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
5V!
under the microscope with this as backlight.
   Like i said before,NOT an invention.

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!

5V!
the microscope with this as backlight.

That's pretty cool.  I can see a Raspberry Pi project coming up using
those things.  Where did you get them?  http://e-luminates.com has them,
but they seem a little pricey - or is that normal cost?

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!
On a sunny day (Mon, 31 Dec 2012 06:23:03 -0600) it happened G. Morgan

5V!
under the microscope with this as backlight.

I will keep my source secret [*] for now,
but I pay 1 Euro a strip inclusive converter.

* Need to get some more, not sure how many they have available.

Re: Invention? Electrolumincense foil as microscope backlight!

J.F. mentioned the color change for these EL displays with increasing frequency.
I decided to test it, and used sgen Linux signal generator,
and my audio power amp.
Power amp directly does not do much, not much peak to peak output voltage,
you can see something, but not bright.
So I added a small 1:10 audio step up transformer.

Started at 22kHz, -> blue
10kHz blue
8 kHz green blue-blue
and then lower more greenish.

While switching between frequencies (wanted to try a sweep actually),
the amplitude got a bit above what the EL strip could handle,
and flashover happened.
No way to restore, not even after cutting a piece off,
flashover at where the connections are.

Next got an other one and measured capacitance:
109.045 nF
Now that was a surprise, I expected some pF, maybe a nF, but not a hundred nF.
So driving it in resonance seems the way to save energy.
The blue color shift seems to come from increased current at higher frequencies?

OK, learned something.

Site Timeline