AC Power Measurements Using a TEK TDS 3012 and/or Agi 34401

So, I don't want to add a power meter to this ATE thing we use at work. I talk SCPI to the TDS 3012 oscilloscope and Agilent DMM 34401 using a VB program. Shouldn't I be able to:

  1. take a whole bunch of readings
  2. do some amazing math
  3. calculate THD, maybe power factor.

Sorry to throw such an unresearched question out but I am clearing out some fog this morning by writing this and I know some of you enjoy the challenge of my freaked out monday mornings.

Thanks, Ed V.

Reply to
EdV

You're already doing this

If it's amazing, it's probably wrong

Yes

, maybe power factor.

Only if you measure the instantaneous current as well--power transferred goes as the time average of V*I--in general it isn't Vrms*Irms. Phase shifts as well as distortion matter.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs