Amazing Discovery

Terrific. I'd like very much to see some of the wonders you guys perform.

BTW I've been reading a great book by R. V. Jones called "Instruments and Experiences". He did some amazing things in gravimetry and seismometry, much of it using incandescent light. Highly recommended.

Jones is one of my technical heroes, along with Hanbury Brown and Major Armstrong.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Seeing your hand drawn "schematics", that's no surprise.
Reply to
John Fields

Not you, obviously.

Destroy? Death from a thousand ankle-high pecks?

Wow, do you have a super-hero uniform? Does it have a cape?

It's a bird! It's a plane!

Its... CLUCKERMAN!

Right the first time. It's a bird.

John

Thanks, John, I appreciate the hints.

Cheers, John S

Reply to
John S

I'll look.

Yeah. I use 10Megs. Same thing, but I want something a little stronger at times.

Yes, but I have a bad feeling about phenolic. Maybe I shouldn't.

Thanks again.

John S

Reply to
John S

For more serious breadboards, you can use banana jacks as combination power/ground/standoff things.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Z290A_pcb.JPG

That would work on a hacked copperclad board, too. That's very convenient for power input - no alligator clips to fall off or short - and for scope/DVM grounds.

I think those are HH Smith.

John

Of course it's a good idea to use the MOSFET polarity-protection trick when you do that...someone's bound to plug it in backwards otherwise.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hmmmm. Actually a super idea since the bananas provide excellent connection points. But, I like to use those little foot-bumpers to keep things from scratching the desk. Nevertheless, a great hint.

Thanks.

John S

Reply to
John S

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Soldering Lead free seems to have the same effect. The pads just delaminate from the board. Not sure if it?s the RoHS HASL or just the 700f temps.

Martin Riddle

The book looks to be pretty hard to find.. is it primarily a collection of papers?

We need technical more heroes.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Cabinet door bumpers make great feet for proto boards.

krw

Where's the Hedy Lamar of this generation? ;-)

Reply to
krw

We don't have problems (well, not that problem) with RoHS, as long as the holes are plated-through. Single-sided is a mess. Of course this assumes purchasing didn't go to a scum-sucking Chinese board house. Some are really bad (can't even get the silk straight).

Reply to
krw

Ohhhh. I bought a bunch of those from Mouser. Can't remember the price, but it sure would have been handy to just pop into the hardware store and pick them up rather than order them.

Hey, thanks.

John

Reply to
John S

It's about half papers and half discussion of what led up to the work and what the difficulties were. I had an ABE want out on it for two years before I found a copy I could afford. (It was still $110.) Really a good read though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Are you kiddin' me? Lead-free requires 700F?

Holy crap!

John

Reply to
John S

Yeah, they're expensive at HD, no matter what they cost from Mouser. Mouser orders come out of the boss' pocket. HD stuff comes out of mine.

Reply to
krw

Great hints! Thanks.

John S

Reply to
John S

Don't know what (manual) irons are set at but RoHS SMT processes are set at or just under 250C (485F).

Even that's enough to ruin your day. LEDs, transformers, and some capacitors are real problems.

Reply to
krw

Kester SAC 305 seems to be the preferred mix for hand soldering...

Yea, 700-800f

Martin Riddle