Material for scrubbing Cu-clad boards

This is for those of you who are making their own PCBs for hobby, prototyping and low-volume production.

I've seen things like fine sandpaper and steelwool recommended on hobbyist websites for cleaning copper-clad boards prior to transferring the pattern and etching. 40 years ago, I used wood ash. It worked quite well but wasn't always readily available. Then I tried tooth powder as it's more abrasive than toothpaste. It sort of worked, but required too much scrubbing. Then I got the idea of using household scrubbing powder. It works fast, having just the right amount of abrasive property with no danger of inflicting deep scratches. Vim and Biz are two popular Indian brands.

I feel no need to look for a better material, but I'm curious about what others are using.

Reply to
pimpom

It has been quite a while, but in the old days I used Seno Polyblock. That is (or was) a kind of big (matchbox sized) crayon eraser, specially made to clean Cu plating.

shows a picture.

--
met vriendelijke groet,
Gerard Bok

The acid is going to eat it off of ALL the unmasked areas and a little tarnish wont stop it. I think abrasive scrubbing was overkill this whole time.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I use 400grit or finer sandpaper lightly and I don't get deep grooves. I suppose for RF you would want a very light abrasive so as to keep the cooper uniform. This assumes the board itself already has uniform copper distribution. I doubt that most general purpose boards have precision distribution .

Reply to
Hammy

Acid ? I use Polyblock to remove the photolayer. That is after the etching process :-)

--
met vriendelijke groet,
Gerard Bok

Scotchbrite, with soapy water. When scotchbrite was first invented, it was a very expensive industrial product and one of the first markets was PCB fabbers. Years later it became a household product.

Use the green kind, the more agressive stuff, not the gentle version.

John

There used to be a liquid cleaner for "Revere Ware", the copper

-bottom cooking pots. Use with a plastic or nylon scrubbing pad. ...Jim Thompson

Tarn-X

Reply to
GregS

That should also get rid of oils with a little aggitation.

Reply to
GregS

I use a green nylon scrubbing pad (3M or generic equivalent) with either some Comet household scrubbing powder (for fast cutting) or a squirt of Gojo hand cleaner (an orange-scented gel which contains some pumice).

On the last board I did, I scrubbed down the board in this way, rinsed well, and then dipped it into the PC-board etchant solution for a few seconds and then rinsed again. The brief dip in the etchant left the copper surface with a very uniform matte appearance - I think it evened out the larger scratches left by the pumice/cleanser.

The pattern ironed on quite well and etched nicely.

Dave Platt

But FeCl3 has a hard time eating through grease and finger smudges. I always have a stack of 12"x12" copper-clads in stock and some of them go through a lot of handling and shuffling before it's their turn to be used. And since it's best to remove any tarnish anyway before soldering, scrubbing followed by a thorough rinsing in running water ensures a smooth process.

Reply to
pimpom

I was really talking about pre-etch cleaning.

Reply to
pimpom

I'm with John... I use a Scotchbrite pad with soap, too.

Tom P.

Reply to
tlbs101

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Tarn-X works well,or Barkeeper's Friend.

steelwool leaves tiny bits of itself behind.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I suppose not. I'm not really concerned about that, but it's nice to know that individual particles of the scouring powder are not hard enough to score deeply into the copper. What I didn't mention earlier was that I keep board and powder wet while scrubbing. A level teaspoonful of powder is more than enough to get a palm-sized board sparkling clean without any visible nicks and scratches, and it takes under a minute of mild scrubbing unless the board is heavily tarnished.

Reply to
pimpom

I have no reason to doubt that Scotchbrite works well, but it's not available where I am.

Reply to
pimpom

I tried using the green pad too, but I really prefer scrubbing with my fingers. Of course, I wouldn't recommend it for mass production!

I sometimes do the pre-etch (brief dipping) too, but somehow I don't have the patience to make it a regular practice. No logic here as I'm normally a very patient type.

Reply to
pimpom

Where's that? In supermarkets here, we have several brands of kitchen sponges that have generic Scotchbrite on one side. They work great to clean up pc boards.

John

Kleen King worked like a champ for me. Art

Reply to
Artemus

NEVR-DULL tarnish removal wadding will aid in getting the stuff scrubbed off too. Also a very good pre-prep for the HASL to follow.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever