Amazing Discovery

location?

--
Here we go again...

You've reinvented the wheel, once again, and found a "new" way to do
gross copper removal while, earlier, demeaning everyone else's talents
in physics.

You publish it as a Great Discovery, and then when someone bests you
by citing a rather less complicated method of doing it, you complain
about damage to the substrate, which is irrelevant with reference to
your application and which also occurs using "your" method.

Then you bring up controlled impedance traces, an obvious dodge, which
is ludicrous since no one was talking about using a Dremel to do that.

Once again, you've shown your true colors, so why can't you just go
back to your paint-by-numbers life and eschew the abuse you crave
here?
Reply to
John Fields

Cute! I don't recognize the make, but that's a nice size. Did it come with collets, a chuck or what?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

location?

PRECISION copper removal!

while, earlier, demeaning everyone else's talents

Physics? Talent? Everyone? Where?

I've tried using my Dremel, which has a huge set of accessories, to cut copper, and it's never worked very well. I asked him how he did it.

I suppose you don't do controlled-impedance traces.

How do you like these cutouts?

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/BB_fast.JPG

This circuit makes a pretty nice looking 50 ohm, 5 volt, 1 GHz square wave. Try that with a 555! Precision hacking on copperclad is the only way I know to breadboard stuff like this, short of etching PC boards.

You'd look less like a whining, clucking old hen if you had anything to say that was on topic.

John

I think so, except I think the pointy corner is more scoop-shaped, so it would actually remove a little furrow of metal as you push it.

I did a google on "engravers' tool" and came up with burin:

The trimmed blade (being pulled) just cuts through the copper, but leaves it there bunched up on either side of the cut.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's what I do, too. I found that the blades all break very quickly, then last a good while. They don't need to be all that sharp to cut the copper. The X-Acto knife acts more like a scraper, or plane blade, than a knife. After an initial score is made, the knife works better by pushing than pulling.

Just throw in some strawberries.

Reply to
krw

A 1/8" chuck. It's a German made EMCO. It's a nice size to machine small aluminum or brass blocks into RF housings. I am going to clean it up and take more photos when I get a chance. I also bought a Cameron precision drill press that looks almost new.

Michael A. Terrell

A pal of mine gave me an X-acto knife 35 years ago when we were laying out p.c. boards, cutting tape the old-fashioned way.

I'm still using the same blade. It's still razor-sharp. (I sharpen it when needed, e.g. after cutting copper.)

I love that knife.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I have the one my mother used in high school, over 60 years ago. Aluminum handle and a brass nut.

Michael A. Terrell

But now we wear glasses for close work, so it isn't an issue anymore. (More's the pity.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Fri, 15 Jul 2011 17:41:14 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Yes, I remember doing that :-) Then I discovered the ink pen, you could just draw on the copper, then etch it. Done several boards with that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

location?

--
"Precision", as in removing enough copper so that you can glue an IC
to the substrate?

How precise does that have to be?
Reply to
John Fields

location?

All you've done in this thread is cluck and whine.

Pitiful.

John

Cheer up. The parts are getting so small, nobody can see them any more.

John

I have a Mantis, the original big one with 4x and 8x objectives. (And tungsten bulbs, which I'll probably replace with LEDs eventually--the fan sounds like a jet engine.) The 4x is nice, but due to the large vertical magnification, the 8x gives me a headache after a few minutes. (The vertical mag is the square of the horizontal mag.)

The mount is a bit clunky, being a parallelogram with no focusing rack, but the microscope itself is pretty nice at low mag. One fine day I'll need to get a higher power microscope, but not today. (I have two college tuitions to pay in the next two weeks, ouch. Fortunately there's only one year of overlap.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Does it have the oblique viewing capacity?

Reply to
SoothSayer

It's a stereo microscope, i.e. the viewing angle range of the objective lens is split in the middle, with one half going to each eye so that you get stereopsis. The exit pupils are huge--an inch or more across--so you can move your head a bit and look around things, which is cool and sometimes useful, e.g. in aligning things. It's also great for soldering underneath, at least at 4X.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Have you seen Leica's patented approach to stereo microscopes? Also excellent 'eye relief' but very nice depth of field.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

only 4X ? I use mine in the 12X range most of the time. It's capable of 47X.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I have 4x and 6x lenses for my "compact" Mantis, and I usually use the

  1. But I'm nearsighted already. This is the little Mantis: small head, no turret, no fan, LEDs.

It's this one.

ftp://66.117.156.8/DSC01371.JPG

You can take good pictures through it, but the LEDs make everything a bit blue.

ftp://66.117.156.8/Mantis2.JPG

John

No, I haven't. How does it work?

You can't avoid the M**2 vertical mag--it comes right out of the imaging geometry.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs