Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs - Page 8

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 13:18:04 +0000, Tom Gardner

Think whatever you like. I couldn't possibly GaF.
 --

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
 progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one

     - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 05:14:33 -0700, Don Y

Hatters used mecurous nitrate, a fairly easily absorbed compound and
not metallic mercury.

John

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 08:50:08 +0000, Tom Gardner

I very seriously doubt there is any connection between your Parkinson
and elemental mercury.   Mercury is not absorbed through the skin and
at ambient temperature, the vapor pressure is so low as to be
negligible. Organic mercury compounds are a whole different matter

When I was a teenager I suffered acute mercury poisoning.  I had
collected about 30 lbs of dirty mercury.  Mercury is normally triple
distilled before use.  I welded up a mercury still.  It had a leak.

I operated it in a tiny half bathroom.  I didn't realize it was
leaking until I saw little mercury droplets collecting on the walls.
The next day I was extremely sick with flu-like symptoms.  I told the
doctor what I had been doing, he did a heavy metal test and sure
enough I had a large amount of elemental mercury in my blood..

Several chelation therapy* treatments later, my mercury level was back
to below detectable.

*a chelating agent is an organic molecule that bonds to and
encapsulates the offending metal atom in a form that will pass through
the kidneys.

For over 20 years I've made neon signs and art as a hobby/casual
second business.  Neon uses mercury.  If I spill some, I pay it no
mind.  There are droplets of mercury on my bombarding table.  Yet my
bi-annual test for heavy metals including uranium come back below
detectable.

Just to check current knowledge, I just googled.  Over 4 pages of
results, not one credible source made any connection between
Parkinson's and mercury.  Of course there were pages of mecuriphobes
and fraudulent huxters. and frauds but nothing authorities.  One of my
authorities sources is the Mayo Clinic.  I searched for "mercury and
Parkinson's" and got no results.

BTW, if you want to see something spectacular, take a flat piece of
aluminum, place a drop of mercury on it, then reach through the puddle
with a tool and scratch the aluminum to remove the oxide layer.
Mercury loves to amalgamate with aluminum.  The amalgam grows out of
the puddle as the mercury consumes an amazingly large amount of
aluminum.  An aluminum casting is best for this in ordrer to provide
enough aluminum to  consume all the mercury..

John

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

They certainly are. Dimethyl Mercury springs to mind as a prime
example. It's extraordinary the toxicity increase obtained by the
addition of just a couple of CH3 groups. I recall some lady doctor -
an expert in heavy metal poisoning - accidentally poisoned herself one
day working with Hg(CH3)2. A single droplet landed on her gloved hand
(surgical gloves of whatever material). She knew she had to whip off
the glove and thoroughly wash her hand within 20 seconds. She didn't
quite make it in time. Slowly lost her mind over a period of a year
and died in agony suffering horrific halucinations. It's like working
with deadly snakes, that stuff. It can happen to the best of us; a
momentary lapse of concentration and you get stung. :(

Yes indeed. There's a video on Youtube of it somewhere I've seen IIRC.

I don't think it's helpful to search for "parkinsons & mercury
poisoning" as the key symptom was tremor of the *kind* seen in
Parkinson's. I didn't say it brought on early-onset Parkinson's.
Neverless, I take some comfort from your reassurances, given your own
'saturation exposure' to the metal. :)

 --

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
 progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one
 of the numerous and varied legion of dullards, of half-animate abortions,
 conceited, half-educated coxcombs who attach themselves to the idea most
 in fashion, only to vulgarise it and who caricature every cause they serve,
 however sincerely."

     - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Mercury poisoning *can* cause "tremor" (as you suggest, there are lots
of different names for tremor).  The question is whether your tremor is
related to exposure to mercury or from some other cause.  E.g., 10% of
men over 50 experience "essential tremor".

[Note that Parkinson's isn't *just* a tremor; Parkinson's is considerably
nastier!]

Tremor can be quickly characterized into a "motion disorder" or otherwise
(e.g., "resting tremor");  does the tremor exist while the limb is in
motion?  or, when it is trying to remain still?

Also, (in the hands), the direction of movement can be indicative of
the type of tremor.

Finally, "weakness" can manifest as tremor.

With that in mind, trying to strengthen the afflicted muscles is a cheap
first start...

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 16:18:27 -0700, Don Y

This happened when I was only about 8 or 9! I became fascinated by the
tenacity of the amalgam and with no gloves or protection of any kind
in fact, I spent hours and hours on and off over months just trying to
smear the stuff off this item of silver jewelery, only for it to
somehow miraculously reform behind my fingers. What kid wouldn't find
that curious? And I've always been a science nut so I went a lot
further with this than most kids would have done (and I still bear the
'scars').

Here's the clip I found on YT of the reaction with aluminium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrdYueB9pY4

 --

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
 progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one
 of the numerous and varied legion of dullards, of half-animate abortions,
 conceited, half-educated coxcombs who attach themselves to the idea most
 in fashion, only to vulgarise it and who caricature every cause they serve,
 however sincerely."

     - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
john.com says...

I'm sure I did that experiment back when I was in school/college ~60
years ago. It also explains the otherwise strange prohibition of mercury
thermometers (or anything else with Hg) on aircraft...

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
f stuffed into a "breadboard", is rapidly decreasing. I have not been in a
position where I needed to prototype a new design (as a hobbyist) in years.
 But now I do and while searching for a >10MSPS A/D and a FIFO memory to us
e with it I am seeing nothing available with pins. What are home builders d
oing these days about this? Is there a company that will solder these surfa
ce mount chips onto a small circuit board for a reasonable price? I bought
one of those SSOP adapter boards and there is no way I can solder those tin
y pins without bridging solder over the gap between pins. What are people d
oing?

Use a breakout board  - https://breakoutboardfactory.com/

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 13:15:27 -0800 (PST), mick

Bellin sells snap-apart boards with a variety of adapter types. The
cost per site is a lot lower than those.

https://www.mouser.com/Tools-Supplies/Prototyping-Products/PCBs-Breadboards/_/N-b11pq?Keyword=bellin&FS=True

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Be happy that some still have pins. The BGA and QFN packages are
becoming dominant.

Aren't many of the so-called builders or makers actually programming
ready-made Arduino boards? So it is irrelevant how difficult it is to
build such a board; you just order a finished one.

There must be something wrong with your fine motor skills, and this is
not an offence. Soldering a SO-xx package is not an issue. TSSOP
requires some attention but is not a problem as well. Same with 0.8mm
pitch TQFP. The 0.5mm starts to be a real problem, but not because of
the act of soldering itself, but the difficulty of ensuring that the
joint has been done right. With a SO, you clearly see that with a naked eye.

And you can always resort to a hot-air gun.

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 08:56:24 +0100, Piotr Wyderski

That's scary. Where are the kids that actually like and understand
electricity?

One needs a steady hand to work with small surfmount parts. Some
people don't have that.

Yuk. They blow parts away and toast everything in sight.

How do you solder a TSSOP with a hot air gun?

Get a Mantis and a Metcal.

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

They've moved on to software and computers.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 17:55:34 +0000, Tom Gardner

Visit any Makers club or warrior robot event and see just how wrong
you are.

John

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

I do :)

There is relatively little "pure electronics" nowadays.

Mostly I see people clagging boards together, usually
with a small amount of software, with laser-cut mechanical
bits.

But most of the people that used to fiddle with electronics
at a component level now fiddle with software at analogous
levels - and that has no place in maker clubs.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

I visit them very rarely, but it is roughly the same here.
They prefer 3D printing, though. Electronics == connecting modules from
AliExpress and programming them. Could have been worse.

    Best regards, Piotr

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Yes; I forgot low resolution 3D printing, and some CNC work.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 09:27:57 +0000, Tom Gardner

You'd be surprised.  The board-stuff house I use had enough of a
backlog that I'm going to have to find another one.  True many people
start off with an Ardunio board as a base but then they make custom
piggyback boards.

I like the processor on the Arduino but I can't justify that large a
form factor for small projects so I design around the chip itself.

The Atmel B*stards discontinued the processor I used on the Roy
induction heater product so I'm not too inclined to design anything
new around an Atmel chip.  TI has a really nice line of 60 MHz RISC
chips and they are available on what they call Rocket Boards.  Similar
philosophy to the Ardunio model with many expansion boards.  Their
development system is vastly superior to Atmel Studio and they offer a
Linux version.

John

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

I've no reason to doubt you, but my point stands.

Personally when programming I like to either be using
bare silicon or a full PC. Things in the middle are
complicated without being interesting.

The next boards (where I don't need hard realtime guarantees)
will probably be RPi Pico.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:47:36 +0000, Tom Gardner

We've done some nice projects with microZed, and my next one will use
a picoZed. Both have a Zynq with all the trimmings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6sl0nh8zd9sm7r/ASP_SN1_top.jpg?raw=1

PicoZed will fit as a component on a single-wide 6U eurocard.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmxbsyzzkv7v26t/PZ_Top.jpg?raw=1