Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs - Page 4

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

You will miss interspersed replies with top posting.

There are only a few people here who never snip, so you already know what you
are getting yourself into when you open their post.

--
The best designs occur in the theta state. - sw

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Not at all.  I scroll through the whole message in case I need to
intersperce comments within it.

I never even look at the address line.  Anyone who chronically fails
to trim goes into my killfile.

John

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Dial 0x911 for the Usenet Police.

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

 > That's me.  Agent opens the reply at the top so that's where I write.
 > Don't you enjoy not having to scroll through hundreds of lines of
 > quotes which should have been snipped?

No.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Why not snip them then?

Jeroen Belleman

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
'Cause I've gotten lazy.

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 20:00:02 +0100, Jeroen Belleman

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

I start with a whiteboard layout. I sometimes carve it totally
freehand, and sometimes use a ruler to draw lines with a sharpie pen,
and use them to guide the Dremel cutter, still manual cutting. I've
had a lot of practice.

Lines that are locally rough but long-term straight look pretty good.
I use a carbide dental burr and work under my Mantis. It's actually
fun, sort of a kind of folk art.

We recently got a fiber laser, to engrave artwork into anodized
aluminum. It can blast the copper off FR4 too, so we might use that
for fine-pitch stuff too small to Dremel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqi9woqsfi83sr2/J270_Top_Laser_Label.jpg?raw=1

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 16:26:52 -0800, John Larkin

That's pretty gorgeous. That color blue is fantastic.

Between that, a CNC and a flatbed CMYW UV printer a lot of pretty
boxes would be possible.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

snip

  It is an off the shelf powder coated Aluminum extrusion enclosure
with a custom silk screen logo on it that may or may not be a baked on
enamel.  The end plates are what get customized.

  It does look nice though.  Depend on what your production numbers are
expected to be for the products life cycle.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

or maybe it is lasered on as it said in the lines you snipped ....

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 09:24:58 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes. It is an extrusion that we buy chopped to length and blue
anodized. We get blank end plates from the same people. The end plates
get cnc machined per product for connectors and LED light pipes. We
laser blast the top and the end plates with our artwork. The n/c fiber
laser blows away the blue anodize and leaves nice aluminum colored
graphics.

We used to buy a relatively expensive Hammond box and send out for
silkscreening or for custom polycarb labels, which was a pain.

The extrusion has some nice features. The top half is removable for
access to the top of the board; the Hammond boxes are one piece. There
is a shoulder on each side that the board bolts to (instead of inboard
spacers) which provides a good heat sinking path.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3ohf1538qth6wl/J270_E02.jpg?raw=1

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Looks sort of like the extrusion boxes I buy from San Jose Scientific:

https://www.sanjosescientific.com/search?page=2&q=enclosure

except for those nifty mounting shelves.  I want them.  Do you have to drill and tap the extrusion in order to mount the boards?
-Jim M.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 10:56:53 -0800 (PST), Jim MacArthur

That looks very similar, but we pay about 1/5 that price, anodized.

We do the secondary tapping, and add a pair of bars inside.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw2cmmkbrzd25jz/J002_1.jpg?raw=1

It's still cheaper than using the Hammond box. And much nicer.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
 On a sunny day (Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:00:00 -0800) it happened
snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

Yes, nice box
but I wonder how many times you can connect somthing to the SMA connectos
before those come lose of the baord.
Look at the middle pin of the unused one at the right
Look at the top ground pin of the one bottom left.

?

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

A lot depends on the intended application -- and the intended *user*!

Some of my high-end video gear uses DIN 1.0/2.3 connectors for density.
If they were "exposed" to normal use, even broadcast engineers would
likely break one (or more), sooner or later.

The solution is an intermediate box that acts to divert the mechanical
"abuse" to something more easily replaced/repaired.

[And, if you can afford the kit, you can afford the "extra box"!]

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Tue, 2 Mar 2021 00:59:58 -0700) it happened Don Y

Or you could uses a box with panel mounted connectors
and cables to the board's SMA or whatever,

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Yes, that's the "intermediate box", in my case.  The connectors
there are effectively sacrificial.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Tue, 02 Mar 2021 12:22:48 GMT, Jan Panteltje

That's big and expensive. The edge-launch connectors work great.

We use Vbite BNC edge-launch too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tglfflnbzvr207/Vbite.jpg?raw=1

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Tue, 02 Mar 2021 08:22:39 -0800) it happened
snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

All that with lead free ...

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Tue, 02 Mar 2021 17:03:14 GMT, Jan Panteltje

We are now totally lead-free. The joints look ugly but seem to work
fine.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc