Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

I use the Kapton tape. I cover a wide area and then take an Xacto knife and cut out around the parts I want to remove or install using the hot air wand. It is interisting to see a part that you use the paste and hot air on just wiggle its self into position with the right ammount of heat and air.

Sometimes I use the solder paste for that and sometimes a very fine tip iron. It just takes some practice to learn how much heat and air flow to use on the parts. As I am just a hobbiest I find the $ 80 hot air rework stations on ebay do decent job. Same as the Amscope $ 200 microscope. Now If I was making a living at it, the Mantis and a $ 500 or $ 1000 hot air station and even one of the hot plate things would be the way to go.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I start with a whiteboard layout. I sometimes carve it totally freehand, and sometimes use a ruler to draw lines with a sharpie pen, and use them to guide the Dremel cutter, still manual cutting. I've had a lot of practice.

Lines that are locally rough but long-term straight look pretty good. I use a carbide dental burr and work under my Mantis. It's actually fun, sort of a kind of folk art.

We recently got a fiber laser, to engrave artwork into anodized aluminum. It can blast the copper off FR4 too, so we might use that for fine-pitch stuff too small to Dremel.

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

Sounds complex. I just use a soldering iron.

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

Me too. With maybe a hotplate underneath the board if the part has a power pad. The mortality rate with just hot air is too high.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Phil Hobbs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

There are devices which support the board over a hot air underside pre-heat and then a hot air gun reflows the top side component and performs the solder operation. They are pretty good for small PCB assemblies.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

My Leister has a frigging different nozzle for each package type, effectively. So, the heat flows where it should and not where it shouldn't.

But, you can fry a device with hot air just like you can fry one with an iron -- if you don't know what you're doing!

Hence, it's far easier for me to let a line that is set up to do this sort of stuff -- day in, day out -- deal with the hassles.

Reply to
Don Y

That's me. Agent opens the reply at the top so that's where I write. Don't you enjoy not having to scroll through hundreds of lines of quotes which should have been snipped?

John

Reply to
neonjohn

You will miss interspersed replies with top posting.

There are only a few people here who never snip, so you already know what you are getting yourself into when you open their post.

--
The best designs occur in the theta state. - sw
Reply to

I do :)

There is relatively little "pure electronics" nowadays.

Mostly I see people clagging boards together, usually with a small amount of software, with laser-cut mechanical bits.

But most of the people that used to fiddle with electronics at a component level now fiddle with software at analogous levels - and that has no place in maker clubs.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I visit them very rarely, but it is roughly the same here. They prefer 3D printing, though. Electronics == connecting modules from AliExpress and programming them. Could have been worse.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Yes; I forgot low resolution 3D printing, and some CNC work.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

No.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not at all. I scroll through the whole message in case I need to intersperce comments within it.

I never even look at the address line. Anyone who chronically fails to trim goes into my killfile.

John

Reply to
neonjohn

You'd be surprised. The board-stuff house I use had enough of a backlog that I'm going to have to find another one. True many people start off with an Ardunio board as a base but then they make custom piggyback boards.

I like the processor on the Arduino but I can't justify that large a form factor for small projects so I design around the chip itself.

The Atmel B*stards discontinued the processor I used on the Roy induction heater product so I'm not too inclined to design anything new around an Atmel chip. TI has a really nice line of 60 MHz RISC chips and they are available on what they call Rocket Boards. Similar philosophy to the Ardunio model with many expansion boards. Their development system is vastly superior to Atmel Studio and they offer a Linux version.

John

Reply to
neonjohn

I've no reason to doubt you, but my point stands.

Personally when programming I like to either be using bare silicon or a full PC. Things in the middle are complicated without being interesting.

The next boards (where I don't need hard realtime guarantees) will probably be RPi Pico.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Just curious about which TI processor architecture you're talking about. I figure you mean the launchpad series of eval boards, which support several different processors. I've been working with the C2000 architecture for 1

8 years, and about to give up and go with the ARM flow.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim MacArthur

Dial 0x911 for the Usenet Police.

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

We've done some nice projects with microZed, and my next one will use a picoZed. Both have a Zynq with all the trimmings.

PicoZed will fit as a component on a single-wide 6U eurocard.

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"

Why not snip them then?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman