Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs - Page 7

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Tue, 2 Mar 2021 16:40:09 -0000 (UTC)) it happened "Don"

SMA cables are just as bad..

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

I use SMA connector savers on my big Tek sampling scope and have never
worn one out. A couple of these must have been used thousands of
times. I tighten by hand.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

  That depends on the torque setting you decided to use.
We use what the industry recommends (typically Pasternack).

  Also some SMA are steel.

  We used 11 inch pounds throughout and had wrenches that break over at
that set point with zero possibility of additional torque application
as other tools can deliver.

  And that was on multi-million dollar satellite baseband gateway rack
sets with thousands of connections within.

  When assembling to a panel the torque needs to be higher than the
torque one expects to mate connectors to it with.  That way they do not
loosen in the field.  Avoiding that type of connector is best but not
always an available solution.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

  Still an off the shelf enclosure with a custom paint job and label
burn.  Nothing to jump up and down about with flailing arms.

  And if he uses the case to sink any heat, the paint job is actually a
blanket that would slow dissipation down a bit.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 18:14:21 +0000 (UTC),

No. See my post just above.

We do heat sink to the anodized extrusion. But paint would have made
an infinitesimal change in theta.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

  Nope.  It all comes down to the emissivity difference between the
bare Aluminum finish and the powder coated blanket finish.  And if
the inside also got painted, the coupling btween the heat source
component and its attachment to the sinking surface.

  So, NOT "infinitesimal".  Small perhaps, but not negligible and
definitely measurable.

  That finish is NOT "anodized Aluminum" it has been powder coated or
worse a simple enamel, and neither are as emissive as the bare
Aluminum is.  If the extrusion clips did get anodized afterward it
seems a waste as only Hard anodization would provide any user desired
benefit. Chem etch is more common and often errantly referred to as
"anodized" when it really isn't.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 20:35:55 +0000 (UTC),

I don't know what box you are talking about. The pic that I posted
(you snipped the link) is a semicustom box, definitely anodized.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqi9woqsfi83sr2/J270_Top_Laser_Label.jpg?raw=1

Feel free to snip it again and talk about something else.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Look at my original response.  I didn't snip shit, jerk.

  Feel free to make another retarded snide crack.

  Extruded Aluminum does not have a pebble finish, and anodization
follows the surface texture it is applied to.  Maybe it was bead
blasted or something first, but that is not the appearance
anodization gives, nor is it the appearance that an extrusion die
leaves.  So it looks like powder coat.  Specifically the old mottled
look tool boxes used to be coated with.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Mon, 1 Mar 2021 00:09:39 +0000 (UTC),

JL said it was anodize aluminum and the color blasted off with a fiber
(pulsed high peak power) laser. Very permanent. Silk screens are a
pain to clean.

You can do things like mark serial numbers on the product as well as
standard panel markings.

The UV flatbed printers can do things like this:

https://www.protocase.com/img/products/mcf/digital-print-11.jpg

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

  I used lasers to mark products and labels for years.  I do not need a
primer.  The debate was about the enclosure finish not the logo burn.

  OK...  whoopie doo.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 06:38:20 +0000 (UTC),

I think they bead blasted the extrusion to give it that hammertone
appearance. Hides a multitude of sins.
--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 15:47:03 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

I can see the thickness of the blue stuff where we drilled holes. It's
pretty much zero.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 16:40:41 -0800, John Larkin

They're still practically invisible AFAIC. I don't use parts I could
accidentally inhale.

 --

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
 progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one

     - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Get some decent optics and tweezers and some sample kits and practice
a little. It's not hard.

Nothing interesting comes in DIPS any more.

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Just so. But he doesn't want to because
  "My sideline is rescuing and fixing up RF boat anchors,
   so I very rarely encounter SMDs at all, thankfully."

But he still whines about his choice to avoid learning
how other people in a similar position have succeeded.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 12:22:47 +0000, Tom Gardner

Anything built in the last few decades is going to be mostly surface
mount. But then we tend to throw things away now, and not repair them.
Almost nobody publishes schematics any more.

Boat anchors are getting to be worthless. There is so much smaller and
cheaper and better stuff. I have some beautiful old Tek scopes that
I'd hate top throw in the dumpster, but a 500 MHz color Rigol makes
them useless.

--

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc   trk

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 19:33:30 -0800, John Larkin

No, it really is (for me at any rate). My unquenchable thirst for
knowledge led me to goof around with liquid mercury for a while when I
was young. I became quite infatuated with the stuff and the way it
formed amalgams with other metals such as silver and the properties of
those almalgams. Anyway, to cut a long story short, this obsession
resulted in my developing Parkinson's like tremors from a very young
age which I've never recovered from. So I'll be giving the tweezers a
miss, I'm afraid. They really wouldn't help.

True, but my interest lies in more fundamental pursuits. To take an
analogy from computing, people like yourself work in high-level
langugages and get a lot done in short order by using powerful and
complex chips. That doesn't appeal to me at all. I like assembly
language and machine code. It takes reams of code to get anything
done, but you get total control over everything and need to understand
every single aspect of what you're building, right down to the finest
details. THAT is what *I* get off on.

 --

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
 progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one
 of the numerous and varied legion of dullards, of half-animate abortions,
 conceited, half-educated coxcombs who attach themselves to the idea most
 in fashion, only to vulgarise it and who caricature every cause they serve,
 however sincerely."

     - Fyodor Dostoevsky

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Mercury poisoning? How unpleasant.

Are you aware of having any of the other traditional symptoms?

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Mad as a hatter?

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Site Timeline