*Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

Hi, all,

Finally got all the slicing and dicing done this evening.  Hopefully
it'll be out sometime this summer.

It's almost 1100 pages this time, and they decided to put the Thermal
Control chapter in the print book, hurrah.  So that's all updated too.

Thanks to all those who sent edits--very helpful indeed.  There's still
time to send more if you're so inclined.  The fewer errata and
obscurities that are left, the happier your humble servant will be.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Congratulations. I hope the Thermal Control Chapter got a very thorough re-write - the version on the website hadn't aged well.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

Wow, that's up there with AoE3.  Congrats!   I'm really looking forward to
this one.

Is there a preprint somewhere?

-- john, KE5FX

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

I put the new thermal control chapter up at

<https://electrooptical.net/www/book/thermal.pdf .

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

   An EXE?

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

? Where do you see that? It's a plain *.pdf which happily opens on my
Linux box, so no *.exe there.

--

Jeff

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

Same here, works fine on my Linux box. Congratulations, Phil!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

Thanks, Joerg.  I'll probably be bumping into walls for a few days. ;)

Wiley says it'll actually be coming out in November.  They've got slow
in their old age.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

   Look at third response to original posting (first reply from Phil Hobbs).
** QUOTE **

John Miles, KE5FX wrote:
 > On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 4:08:23 PM UTC-8, Phil Hobbs wrote:
 >> Hi, all,
 >>
 >> Finally got all the slicing and dicing done this evening. Hopefully
 >> it'll be out sometime this summer.
 >>
 >> It's almost 1100 pages this time, and they decided to put the Thermal
 >> Control chapter in the print book, hurrah. So that's all updated too.
 >
 > Wow, that's up there with AoE3.  Congrats!   I'm really looking
forward to
 > this one.
 >
 >> Thanks to all those who sent edits--very helpful indeed. There's still
 >> time to send more if you're so inclined. The fewer errata and
 >> obscurities that are left, the happier your humble servant will be.
 >>
 >
 > Is there a preprint somewhere?
 >
 > -- john, KE5FX

I put the new thermal control chapter up at

<https://electrooptical.net/www/book/thermal.pdf .

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

Worked for me. As Phil promised, it is a whole lot better than the first version I saw, and if fact pretty impressive.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

Looks like your portable cloud is back.  That link is plain text, so it
points where it says it points--something's hosed up your browser again.

Try wget or curl.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

the race on who has the most weird and unexplainable computer problems is tight between Robert Baer and skybuck

;)

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

Gremlins? I love mysteries. I had friend, years ago, that would call me up about
his weird computer problems. His descriptions defied reality as far as I was
concerned. I finally suggested a voodoo priest or maybe an exorcist.  Now that I
think about it, he wasn't above putting someone on.

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted
e:
lly
ermal
 too.

eally looking
 still
be.

y Linux

from Phil Hobbs).

wrote:

pefully

e Thermal

ated too.

'm really looking forward to

re's still

ill be.

"Name:

so it points

A black cloud is it? ;-)  The PDF downloaded fine for me. Impressive chap
ter btw!

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

Glad you like it.  The main point of the book is to try to keep
youngsters from wasting their time, enthusiasm, and confidence by
falling into the same old potholes we did.  (The target audience is
basically me as a grad student.)

There are 19 more where that came from. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

Not about the OS from the 90s that eventually got bought by Palm and
then mostly forgotten about I take it.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS

It was something else in its day - it could run rings around anything
Mac or Windows was doing. 32 standard def videos playing in desktop
windows simultaneously on a dual-processor Pentium 133 in 1996, remarkable

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

  Wow...  I am a big BeOS fan from way back in the 486 days...

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

That acronym triggered a blast from the past double take.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS

Amazingly it is still going in niches and now called Haiku
(somebody's lockdown project?)

Martin Brown

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

  No.  It was around long before lockdowns.

  Been around since BeOS ended.

Re: *Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

More than that; OSNews has regular updates on Haiku and
other odd topics
https://www.osnews.com/?s=haiku

Site Timeline