*Whew* BEOS 3 manuscript submitted

Hi, all,

Finally got all the slicing and dicing done this evening. Hopefully it'll be out sometime this summer.

It's almost 1100 pages this time, and they decided to put the Thermal Control chapter in the print book, hurrah. So that's all updated too.

Thanks to all those who sent edits--very helpful indeed. There's still time to send more if you're so inclined. The fewer errata and obscurities that are left, the happier your humble servant will be.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Congratulations. I hope the Thermal Control Chapter got a very thorough re-write - the version on the website hadn't aged well.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Wow, that's up there with AoE3. Congrats! I'm really looking forward to this one.

Is there a preprint somewhere?

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

I put the new thermal control chapter up at

.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not about the OS from the 90s that eventually got bought by Palm and then mostly forgotten about I take it.

It was something else in its day - it could run rings around anything Mac or Windows was doing. 32 standard def videos playing in desktop windows simultaneously on a dual-processor Pentium 133 in 1996, remarkable

Reply to
bitrex

An EXE?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Phil Hobbs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

Wow... I am a big BeOS fan from way back in the 486 days...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That acronym triggered a blast from the past double take.

Amazingly it is still going in niches and now called Haiku (somebody's lockdown project?)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

? Where do you see that? It's a plain *.pdf which happily opens on my Linux box, so no *.exe there.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Martin Brown wrote in news:s12h92$7vh$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

No. It was around long before lockdowns.

Been around since BeOS ended.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

More than that; OSNews has regular updates on Haiku and other odd topics

Tom Gardner

Same here, works fine on my Linux box. Congratulations, Phil!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, Joerg. I'll probably be bumping into walls for a few days. ;)

Wiley says it'll actually be coming out in November. They've got slow in their old age.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Look at third response to original posting (first reply from Phil Hobbs).

** QUOTE **

John Miles, KE5FX wrote: > On Monday, February 22, 2021 at 4:08:23 PM UTC-8, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> Hi, all, >> >> Finally got all the slicing and dicing done this evening. Hopefully >> it'll be out sometime this summer. >> >> It's almost 1100 pages this time, and they decided to put the Thermal >> Control chapter in the print book, hurrah. So that's all updated too. > > Wow, that's up there with AoE3. Congrats! I'm really looking forward to > this one. > >> Thanks to all those who sent edits--very helpful indeed. There's still >> time to send more if you're so inclined. The fewer errata and >> obscurities that are left, the happier your humble servant will be. >> > > Is there a preprint somewhere? > > -- john, KE5FX >

I put the new thermal control chapter up at

.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
** END QUOTE **

   That PDF link gives a pdf.exe URL and a security warning "Name:
...AER\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF.EXE ;
Publisher: Krzyztof Kowalczyk ; Type: Application"

   And the download fails.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Worked for me. As Phil promised, it is a whole lot better than the first version I saw, and if fact pretty impressive.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Looks like your portable cloud is back. That link is plain text, so it points where it says it points--something's hosed up your browser again.

Try wget or curl.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

the race on who has the most weird and unexplainable computer problems is tight between Robert Baer and skybuck

;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

e:

lly

ermal

too.

eally looking

still

be.

y Linux

from Phil Hobbs).

wrote:

pefully

e Thermal

ated too.

'm really looking forward to

re's still

ill be.

"Name:

so it points

A black cloud is it? ;-) The PDF downloaded fine for me. Impressive chap ter btw!

Reply to
gray_wolf

Glad you like it. The main point of the book is to try to keep youngsters from wasting their time, enthusiasm, and confidence by falling into the same old potholes we did. (The target audience is basically me as a grad student.)

There are 19 more where that came from. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Gremlins? I love mysteries. I had friend, years ago, that would call me up about his weird computer problems. His descriptions defied reality as far as I was concerned. I finally suggested a voodoo priest or maybe an exorcist. Now that I think about it, he wasn't above putting someone on.

Reply to
gray_wolf