Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs - Page 6

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Tue, 02 Mar 2021 10:25:22 -0800) it happened
snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

Nice buttons, custom made?

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 07:18:33 GMT, Jan Panteltje

Yes. That's a single silicone thing, made for us by Melrose Nameplate.
It has built-in dual carbon button contacts. It lays on a pcb that has
reverse-shooting LEDs that backlight the buttons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdj21clow35pe35/Melrose.JPG?raw=1

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Wed, 03 Mar 2021 08:26:42 -0800) it happened
snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

Very nice indeed,
I will remember that name, bookmarked,
 https://www.melrose-nl.com/products/front-panel-overlays/

I always fell for green lighting things, started when I first did see an EM34 cat eye;
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_eye_tube
or maybe when mama let me drink from uranium glass
:-)
and radium switch buttons and watch hands.
Got a bit more careful with that later,,,

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 17:16:26 GMT, Jan Panteltje

Here's the front-panel assembly. The whole thing removes from the box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tljax71myi5ktua/P500_FP_rear.JPG?raw=1

The led's are surface-mount down-firing and shoot light through shiny
plated holes in the PCB, into the buttons. I need to write an ECO to
change a couple of resistors to tweak the brightnesses.

We have tritium lights on the big bedposts at the cabin. It's super
dark up there on a moonless night and one can crash into a post coming
back to bed. I just replaced them after about 9 years. There are no
street lights and it's against HOA rules to have lights that are
visible from the street.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
@gioia.aioe.org:

  Hey!  That's a good idea.  Place a ring of Radium inside thoe
switches and the LEDs will charge it up, and after power down they will
illuminate dimly for a period.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Wed, 3 Mar 2021 23:37:49 +0000 (UTC)) it happened
snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in

You are confusing 'radium' that is radioactive and emits all by itself for years
with what is in those  fluorescent paints.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Thu, 04 Mar 2021 07:40:39 GMT, Jan Panteltje

Our display is dimmable, for people who work in the dark.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

  And that is what 16 or 18 Ga Aluminum?

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 23:34:44 +0000 (UTC),

0.062.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 07:18:33 GMT, Jan Panteltje

Looks like a custom one-piece  silicone keypad except for the power
button.
--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Nice looking box.  How did the instant-on LC thing wind up working?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

The bipolar version of the triggered oscillator works, but we'll use
the SAV551 oscillator on the next rev. It seems to have less jitter,
maybe 8 ps RMS per microsecond. We will phase-lock it in about 500 ns.

I was running at 120 MHz, but my FPGA kids don't like that. If I go to
something like 50 MHz, their design can become fully synchronous at
250 MHz with no clock boundary crossings, which is apparently a good
thing. We're shipping a few boxes to launch customers now, but there
are some specs we'd like to improve. One feature is to allow the full
set of time settings to be changed every shot at up to 12 MHz or so,
and to never miss triggers while times are being reprogrammed.

About a month ago, we hit the crystalization point, where multiple
problems became orthogonal and strange things started getting fixed.
That is a common pattern in complex systems.

We'e been working on this for a long time, but kept getting diverted.
It's almost done.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Good hunting!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

what's the point of using small connectors for density when it then requires an external box ?

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

Because the small connectors are mounted on PCIe cards -- which have
fixed size limits.  The external box has none!

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

I counted connectors *to* the box (from the custom interface cable):
   4 XLR(m)
   4 XLR(f)
   8 BNC
   1 DB9
All from a single slot PCIe card.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Tue, 02 Mar 2021 06:57:42 GMT, Jan Panteltje

All connectors are used.

The edge-launch SMA are soldered on both sides of the board and are
very strong. The solder that matters is between the pins and the pads,
which doesn't show in that pic. My people solder very well and my QC
lady is very aggressive.

This is the cheap Shining Star edge-launch connector. It gets 5 solder
joints.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ag8vj0fj2htkjsm/SS_SMA_Edge.JPG?raw=1

In the 20 picosecond range, it is just as good as one of the $12
"microwave" connectors.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi2qpz0znbyeat9/Mueller_SMA.JPG?raw=1

Of course, you've got to get the pads and stackup right to make a
clean transition into the connector from microstrip. We simulated that
with ATLC2 and verified on real boards.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xavwrdzwz4y8iep/Edge_alone_4.jpg?raw=1

The J270 board has 1 ns edges so isn't so fussy.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On a sunny day (Tue, 02 Mar 2021 08:19:36 -0800) it happened
snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in

Yes of course, was just using it to point that one out

That looks good
recently had some edge connectors come of from an ebay made in China board,,,
But those did not have the bottom pins but the price was only a few $...
Soldering fixed it again.

OK

That is new to me, ATLC2, nice presentation!

I am always a bit worried about mechanics, having experienced how 'operators' sometimes
handle equipment.

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs
On Tue, 02 Mar 2021 17:01:31 GMT, Jan Panteltje

ATLC was a clever program, and ATLC2 is a friendlier version. I don't
know if it's still supported.

That run was the connector alone, in free air, not on a PCB.

On the board, we had to tweak the pad size and cut away some inner
plane layers to get a good 50 ohm match. We add a big copper pour on
the bottom side to finish things off. That makes the solder joints
much stronger, too.

We haven't had any problems so far.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

Re: Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

SMA threads also wear out. Provided you use a torque wrench each time,
you can stretch SMA threads out to about one hundred connections, no?

Danke,

--
Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;