AM Modulation

"Jim Thompson"

** Troll.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yeah, well, what can I tell you...I took Fourier from Bracewell himself, and he made it such fun that I can't resist playing with it sometimes. My bad.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Neat! Bracewell is a very cool dude; I wish I'd met him.

The HP/Agilent sampling scopes used (maybe still use) the Bracewell Transform for TDR deconvolution, and he has interesting ideas on extraterrestial life and stuff.

John

ps - ever get involved in deconvolution? I accidentally invented a very simple and fast deconvolution algorithm for TDR equalization, and I wish somebody would explain to me how it works.

Well, my problem is, I got stuck in mathematics at that level. I've been programming FFTs on DPSs and I can perfectly see what the transform does, algorithm-wise, but these mathematical representations are just plain chinese to me ;-)

My bad too...... (heading for the pubs instead of going to math classes, but that was 20 odd years ago. I'm wiser now, I now drink at home ;-))

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Have you tried reading E. Oran Brigham's edition(s)?

I instantly saw sin() component effect the moment I'd read John's question. The (1/2j) * (e^jwt - e^-jwt) popped immediately to mind as equivalent and the last part of that multiplied by the e^2j pi ft immediately yields the f-f0 f+f0 splitting.) But I didn't bother with the 't' spectrum to see what shape would be split, at the time. I followed Phil's response quickly, though.

Anyway, that's where I learned to vaguely read such things, despite the fact that it was just a passing curiosity and I don't normally need to apply FTs. His writing worked for me better than other places I'd looked. Might help you, if you haven't already tried him.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I did some of that for my thesis research, but the most interesting was for my $10 thermal IR cameras--I needed to take the response of each pixel and deconvolve it with a filter about 25 or 30 samples long, on a micro with a capacious 902 bytes of RAM--there was no way I could use that many frame buffers.

It turned out that the deconvolver could be factored pretty accurately into a 3-sample FIR filter followed by a 1-sample IIR integrator, which made it much more feasible. It still wound up in the PC code and not in the micro, but oh, well.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs