AM Modulation

See? My point exactly.

John

"John Larkin"

** Like hell - you smug pig.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Of course I made the assumption: That it is CORRECTLY operating in Class A, and is, therefore, linear.

What is your point?

I don't see where "full out" has anything to do with this. Out of curiosity though, why do you believe every Class C stage is running at the top of it E and I ratings? They aren't. In an RF amplifier that is to be high-level modulated, allowance must always be made for the modulating voltage.

This is down to basics stuff. The Class C stage works, because it is non-linear. Accept that or go do your homework.

Reply to
Don Bowey

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:38:13 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Phil doesn't know how to make a proper post in Usnet... on so many levels.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

By magic? Explain how a linear device operating linearly, will generate sum and difference frequencies.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Rage on, dude!

John

Yes, it's hard to beat.

It certainly generates what has been defined as "linear sidebands," but the Class C stage itself is not linear. This confuses those who don't know the difference.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Gee, thanks for the insight Phil. I will give it all the attention it deserves. You certainly are eloquent and to-the-point.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Agreed. We have a responsibility to the community to keep him simmering until his blood pressure gets high enough to blow an artery.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

I saw a really cool up-converter for 2 meters, in QST or something - its local oscillator went to the grids of a balanced mixer/output stage, and the plate supply was the RF from your NCX-30 or whatever, just matched to

50 ohms, fed in push-pull. The output tank was tuned to 144.whatever, of course, and supposedly it had a pretty clean output - it was ham-legal, FWIW. The article was kewl: "Who ever said you _have to_ feed the plates with DC?" that sort of thing. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Heh. If we learn from our mistakes, I must be almost infinitely wise by now. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

--
Elect Me President in 2008! I will:
A. Fire the IRS, and abolish the income tax

No, really, I want everybody to be happy.

I was just talking with a few people about this lately. Suppose you could send a letter back in time and describe your physical life to, say, your great-great-grandparents. Tell them about the plentiful and delicious food we have. How we can travel 100 miles in two hours, in any weather, in total comfort, with symphonic music all the way, or have breakfast in California and dinner in New York. Describe our education, entertainment, medical and dental care, technology, the size and comforts of our homes, how long we live, how seldom our children die before us.

They would say "How happy you must be! How well everyone must get along, with such shared plenty!"

Ha!

John

"No, honey, those pants make your ass look like it's not fat at all!"

Cheers! Rich

--
Elect Me President in 2008! I will:
A. Fire the IRS, and abolish the income tax
B. Legalize drugs
C. Stand down all military actions by the US that don\'t involve actual
   military aggression against US territory
D. Declare World Peace I.
Reply to
Rich Grise, PLainclothes Hippi

Decadence.

Cheers! Rich

--
Elect Me President in 2008! I will:
A. Fire the IRS, and abolish the income tax
B. Legalize drugs
C. Stand down all military actions by the US that don\'t involve actual
   military aggression against US territory
D. Declare World Peace I.
Reply to
Rich Grise, PLainclothes Hippi

Yikes! I just looked up Whittier, and I'm at 170 feet! I guess the Hawaii tsunami _could_ reach me! (when that lava shelf collapses, of course. :-) )

Thanks! Rich

--
Elect Me President in 2008! I will:
A. Fire the IRS, and abolish the income tax
B. Legalize drugs
C. Stand down all military actions by the US that don\'t involve actual
   military aggression against US territory
D. Declare World Peace I.
Reply to
Rich Grise, PLainclothes Hippi

(a + jb) * (c + jd) = ac - bd + jbc + jad

Cheers! Rich

--
Elect Me President in 2008! I will:
A. Fire the IRS, and abolish the income tax
B. Legalize drugs
C. Stand down all military actions by the US that don\'t involve actual
   military aggression against US territory
D. Declare World Peace I.
Reply to
Rich Grise, PLainclothes Hippi

Maybe the characteristic transfer function changes when you change the plate voltage. :-)

Cheers! Rich

--
Elect Me President in 2008! I will:
A. Fire the IRS, and abolish the income tax
B. Legalize drugs
C. Stand down all military actions by the US that don\'t involve actual
   military aggression against US territory
D. Declare World Peace I.
Reply to
Rich Grise, PLainclothes Hippi

Well, you're feeding the Phallusin troll.

Cheers! Rich

--
Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

Well, you gave them a very sanitized version. Try putting in things like the breakdown of marriage, with divorce rates of 50% and illegitimacy rates of 25%-75%, depending on where you live. Plus being bombarded with images and examples of how allegedly to find fulfillment by exploiting other people in one way or another.

You might get a more accurate assessment then.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's my point. They wouldn't understand why, with all the horrible difficulties of their generation fixed, with all these opportunities and options and wealth we have, we so often can't manage to make ourselves happy.

It took them all day to travel 10 or 15 miles. We can do it in a few minutes, but boil over with road rage if we get slowed down by 10 seconds. They wouldn't understand.

I suppose newsgroups attract a non-representative sampling of humanity, but the people here all have computers and the leisure to play with them, and so many are angry and unhappy. It's just bizarre to me. Also makes me think that civilization may not be very perfectable.

Time for a taco. Chicken or carnitas, that's my big problem.

John