Receiving Pulse-Code Modulation on AM radio?

Hi:

Hypothetical situation: a PCM audio signal [24-bit and monoaural] is transmitted through an analog 150 Khz AM carrier, an AM receiver on the other end [tuned to 150 Khz] picks up the signal, and the reciever is attached to a device that can recieve, process, and decode the PCM audio back to analog and then send it to a loudspeaker. However -- in this theoretical situation -- the environment is filled with magnetic interference that affects all AM stations.

My question: Will the received PCM audio signal remain noticeably "clean" to the listener or will he/she notice the magnetic disruptions affecting the audio?

I ask because I think -- but definitely don't know -- that because the received signal is digital, it is less likely that the static would cause noticeable auditory disruptions when compared to analog. Do I guess correct?

Thanks,

Radium

Reply to
Radium

Won't work. The data bit rate (for 44 KHz sampling) is 1.05 MHz, too much to put on a 150 KHz AM carrier, at least without insanely exotic modulation tricks.

John

Just what are these "insanely exotic modulation tricks"?

Reply to
Radium

What is we use a 3 MHz AM carrier, instead?

Reply to
Radium

Think data error.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Could heterodynes [often heard as frightening high-pitched tones on analog AM radio] cause data errors [or any other disruptions] in a digital device receiving PCM signals on an AM station?

Reply to
Radium

They're more insane even than you !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You'd have to research communications theory. Google "information theory" and "Shannon capacity" to start.

John