Am I Having a Saturday Morning Stupid Moment?

So unlikely as to be considered impossible.

Reply to
krw

No. Inflation is too much money chasing too little merchandise. With the current crew in Washington, how can be have anything else.

Yes. It's too unlikely in the current situation to be considered.

Reply to
krw

And I'll tell you one more time that you're full of shit.

Reply to
krw

Ok, I can accept that. However, banks aren't.

Not sure real estate is a loser, long term. Of course it has to have certain attributes (Florida swamps aren't attractive investments).

Reply to
krw

Indeed. If there is one "lesson" they think they learned from the Great Depression, it is to avoid deflation-- and re-inflating gives the government more money/power at least temporarily, so it's a no brainer (for them).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You will have to excuse me for doubting the accuracy of your crystal ball. :)

Reply to
Guy Macon

Engaging in personal attacks does not strengthen your argument. Rather the opposite, as a matter of fact. It makes it appear that you don't have any evidence or logic to back up your assertions; if you had you would have posted them instead of resorting to ad hominems.

Reply to
Guy Macon

It doesn't take much intelligence to see what is clear to not just me, here, but also Spef. I understand why you're vision is cloudy, though.

Reply to
krw

It doesn't need it. Your incessant yammering is enough.

No, it means simply that you *are* full of shit. It's a statement of fact.

Reply to
krw

I believe that you have missed an essential difference. While it is true that Spehro Pefhany disagreed with me and agreed with you in a recent post, he also gave a *reason* for his disagreement that is based upon evidence and logic. This allows me to attempt to craft a valid counterargument, and there is a very real possibility that he may convince me that I am wrong or that I may convince him that he is wrong. That's the advantage of logical arguments. You, on the other hand, have only provided assertions and personal attacks, neither of which will ever convince someone who understands the basics of logical argument and critical thinking. I could, of course, sink to your level and reply in kind, but I have been around Usenet long enough that flamers don't bother me all that much, and to realize how boring such flamewars are.

I am going to ignore you now on the basis of it being very unlikely that anything you write is worth reading. Let me know if you ever decide to be civil and/or to start using valid logical arguments instead of fallacies and ad hominems.

"When anyone resorts to personal attacks, it is almost always because they are losing an argument." -The Happy Heretic

Reply to
Guy Macon

i.e., right up their alley. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

When has there ever been deflation? And where?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Feeling a little passive-aggressive today, are we, Guy? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Judge Mental

Not particularly. I have been on Usenet long enough that someone engaging in personal attacks rather than using logic and reason results in a rather detached bemusement on my part.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

In the commodity and stock markets? Real estate?

Reply to
ingvald44

Oh! I see the problem! krw said the mattress is a guaranteed loser, you said, "unless there's deflation", and the two of you decided to have a piss-fest.

Sorry for interfering with your fun. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Well, if deflation is the opposite of inflation, like congress is the opposite of progress, then it would mean that the buying power of your individual shopping dollar would _increase_.

How can anybody even imagine trying to stop such a thing? Wouldn't it make everybody richer?

And, as far as the economy is concerned, I think the danger of it (deflation) happening at least during Prez. Barry's term is somewhere between slim and none.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

No, deflation increases the value of money, which only benefits the people who have it. People who've saved.

It's bad for the government--reduces their revenue.

They'll prevent deflation no matter what the cost. Thus their current actions. Deflation is anathema to a politician.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I believe that you have once again misinterpreted what is being said, perhaps by projecting your own thinking style upon others.

I am not having any sort of piss-fest with krw at all. In fact, I stopped reponding to him when he stopped thinking and started pissing. He then withdrew rather than trying to support his position with logic and evidence instead of ad hominems.

I am interested in having a conversation with anyone who is willing to use reason, logic, and evidence. You gave the impression of being such a person with your "When has there ever been deflation? And where?" question, but when given a perfectly valid answer to that question, you went off on a tangent about imaginary pissing contests rather than reading the URLs provided and analysing/discussing the examples in them.

If you wish to claim, as some have done, that deflation cannot happen when the government prints more money, it would seem that you would be interested in the fact that doing that didn't work under FDR and didn't work in Japan when their real estate bubble burst. At one time the price for buying all the land in Tokyo was higher than buying all the land in all 50 states of the USA. When that bubble burst and deflation set in, printing up more Yen did not halt the deflation. The government can print money, but it cannot force people to spend it. In a deflationary spiral they just sit on it and let it gain value.

I have said it before, and I will say it again; if anybody opines that deflation is very, very unlikely, I would agree 100%. If they opine that deflation cannot possibly happen, they are an idiot. History says otherwise.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Slim? Agree 100%. None? If that is yoor claim, please excuse me for doubting that you have a 100% accurate crystal ball.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to