A Woody Allen Moment

I had a Woody Allen moment, straight out of "Annie Hall", last evening...

I'm out at the barby introducing five lobsters to their "evening warm bath", when a particularly feisty one jerks so hard he managed to get loose from my tongs and took off across the counter top.

If there wasn't a step-up at the edge, he'd have been scurrying across the desert landscape ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Now, the only questions that remain are:

Did he get any special treatment for his efforts at bulking up for you?

And what does that say about the limp ones?

Reply to
Corbomite Carrie

They were all remarkably feisty... the "jumpy" one was a little larger... almost 2#.

...Jim Thompson

On Jan 1, 12:53=EF=BF=BDpm, Jim Thompson

Do you ever think of those things as Giant Sea Roaches...? I'm just saying....

I once saw one in the Southern Exhumas that was so HUGE, I figured I'd better let him be. He(?) was making a "crunching" noise on the reef so loud I thought maybe some of my equipment was malfunctioning! They swim backwards you know.

-mpm

And incidentally, on balance, what do you suppose was the net CO2 Global Warming contribution for transporting those buggers out to the Arizona desert? Include the butter in your calculations...

What a wonderful country. Happy New Year.

Reply to
mpm

For future reference...

mpm

They were flown in from Maine, probably a pound of butter total (we had corn-on-the-cob and yams as well) and I used a significant amount of propane to bring that much water to a boil ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Sno-o-o-o-ort!

I have some really nice BIG stainless tongs to do the head-first plunge ;-)

...Jim Thompson

We had six people, four crabs, one loaf of bread, and two giant bottles of Chimay red label. There's leftovers to make crab cakes. Of course, we saved a little room for flaming bananas.

I went once to a wonderful, grubby little joint on the Ile de Re. The protocol is that you go in and sit at a crude wooden table. A dour guy comes over and throws a couple of live lobsters on the table. You scowl, he shruggs, and he takes them away and brings a couple of bigger ones. When you're finally satisfied, he broils them, in a couple of minutes, and brings them back with a bottle of white wine that has no cork or label. Good.

Haven't had a serious work-related email in at least 2 weeks, so I'm just cleaning up, piles of papers and magazines at work and home, and all sorts of cables and parts and notes and stuff to organize. We work in a very messy business.

John

Sounds good!

Them's the best kind of places ;-)

Actually I had an emergency request for design verification but, yep, this is generally a slow time of year... which is good... gives me time to help around the house for holiday prep, which keeps the wife happy.

I'm doing the same as you today, trying to find the surface of the desk ;-)

Time to go outside in the frigid near 70°F weather ;-) and cut up all the cardboard waste from Christmas into the recycle bin.

...Jim Thompson

Hmm, interesting. I had the very same thing happen, except that mine required a short trip to the client right after Christmas. Plus the help around the house thing.

Well, you once said "It's _my_ office". So the missus won't likely help you there. If you don't feel like cleaning up post a placard like this: Order is for the simple-minded, a genius find his way through chaos with ease.

Not here. We don't give Christmas presents to each other, just to others. Except stuff we both want together. Sometimes nothing, sometimes little stuff, sometimes big stuff like the pool table.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Desks have a surface ???

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

You've seen the placard, "A neat desk is a sign of a sick mind" ;-)

I'm cleaning up for my own sake... I can't find anything.

You forget, we had all our kids, their spouses and eight grandchildren here for Christmas celebration... makes for quite a trash mess :-(

...Jim Thompson

All that for a little bit of meat for which you have to use a nut-cracker to get it. I had lobster once somewhere in Asia right on the shore of the Indian Ocean. Didn't finish mine. A rough estimation pointed out it took less time to order something else than to take the lobster apart.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Always keep a .357 on hand just for that very reason... Never can tell when those critters will make a break for it, and sometimes it is necessary to teke agressive action!

Reply to
PeterD

These lobsters has enough tail and claw meat to satisfy even a hungry young male.

Scissors work much better than crackers.

That's surprising... South Pacific lobsters usually have enormous tails. I made the mistake once of ordering a "stuffed" lobster in Melbourne, AU ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, but it's on the BOTTOM! :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Just tazer them. There's no risk of them yelling, "Don't taze me, BRO!!!"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's all the same surface.. Mobius Desk!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Not mine. All my desks have clutter repositories on their top sides.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

3D -- Klein. ;)

Tim