Alternator problem

Wow, I can't believe that you are so dense. Everyone tells you what the deal is and you continue to not believe them. That makes you a troll, not someone looking for information as you were informed of the issues long ago.

The answer is yes, for a very brief (perhaps nanoseconds) period of time. Oh, and BTW, 12,000 watts is only ten times what a typical alternator is designed to put out, so that's not much over...

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

I believe it's possible, but not in my test case. Maxwell told me not to worry.

And how much of that 12,000 watts can get pass the 0.5 ohm head lights?

Reply to
linnix

Wired, of course, with a harness with no inductance ;-)

I don't know how the Lexus regulator is designed, but, scratching my butt, I remember that one of my designs wouldn't draw field current below about 10 volts, automatically shutting down that load during cranking. ...Jim Thompson

And almost no resistance from the head lights, if that happens. However, in my idle test, there was no significant change in load, no collapsing magnetic field and no massive quantum jumps in electrons.

Reply to
linnix

Takes ONE spike. Count 'em ONE!!! Shall I say it again? ONE!!!

You're mistaken here...read below

I am

"Probably" means nothing when you're troubleshooting something that ain't workin' right. MEASURE IT!! Your system is "probably working right" except if it ain't.

I don't have anything newer than 1990, but I think 30A at 700 RPM is optimistic.

When i

I don't know why I bother, 'cause you ain't listening...but... The output of an alternator is AC. The rectifiers produce a waveform that has a DC component, but also has an AC component that tracks the peak value of the alternator phases. The regulator "regulates" the peak voltage. So, the RMS voltage that determines the intensity of your headlights will be lower than the setpoint of the regulator. Dimming of the headlights is the EXPECTED result of removing the battery. Blowing up some sensitive electronics is another possible result of your experiment.

Engineering is about examining the results of your trial using proper equipment and sound theoretical basics. Drawing the proper conclusion is CRITICAL to making progress.

You ain't gettin' nowhere until you verify that you don't have the slipping pulley problem and MEASURE the current load and the alternator output.

Reply to
mike

ge

But there has to be a reason for the spike, not magic.

ly

The head lights will take at least 20A.

an any

or

ging

Disconnecting a 14V running system would probably spike it up to 20V to 30V. Turning off the headlights without the battery would probably spike it up to 120V as stated. But that not what happened. The Lexus was running at 12V as if the alternator was not there.

I fully expect the peak to the 70% above RMS. The RMS has to be high enough to charge the battery on average and have the regulator take care of the excess. At idle, the Lexus RMS is around 9V, so it was draining rather than charging. Both my Corolla and Aerostar output a soild 14V at idle.

Yes, i am trying to understand where is that magical voltage spike coming from.

The pulley is tight and running properly above 1000RPM.

Reply to
linnix

Frickin' troll...

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

L*dI/dT where I is whatever current was flowing into the battery when it was disconnected.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

The load voltage dropped from 12V to 9V, so current was flowing out of the battery when connected.

Reply to
linnix

Bull shit, troll. Will you PLEASE just let this thread die.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

I am just answering his question.

Reply to
linnix

I'm beginning to seriously question your abilities as an electrical engineer :-(

Do you work for Larkin ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

I am just saying your guess (in) is as good as mine (out).

i guess you guys are not really interested in real discussions. Look, the alternator was (and still is) running very weak in idle. It might be defective or there might be other issues. The output voltage could run above the battery, but most likely below it. There are enough resistive load to clamp down the voltage as well. Yes, there could be damage to something, but so could static.

This is not something by design, I am just trying to track down the problem.

Reply to
linnix

idea

=A0So,

I tossed "ford load dump spec" at a search engine and found many fascinating things.

Like:

EM_test_LD_200_datasheet.pdf

And:

tml

Reply to
josephkk

dea

o,

.php

Yes, absolutely, for normal alternator/regulator. But i have an alternator that is generating voltage below the battery, and is slowly draining and killing it.

Reply to
linnix

Only we're not guessing, you are. Or you're being a troll, intentionally inflaming the posters with stupid statements that have no basis in reality or engineering.

Discussion? We tell you something and you proceed to tell everyone they are wrong. That's not discussion, that stupidity.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

Go away you f****it retard... Go far, far away. You know diddly squat about electronics, engineering, alternators, cars, or most anything else. You are simply a stupid, moronic troll.

Listen to this duckweed: the alternator, unless defective, can't "drain and kill..." the battery.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

You keep ignoring the fact that an alternator is a current-controlled current source.

You keep hanging your hat on voltage and are not understanding how this works.

What is the voltage at engine idle, alternator connected to battery, no accessories on?

(Though you may have already killed your regulator by running without battery.) ...Jim Thompson

12.4V with headlight. Headlight is on all the time. Did not try it without.

Brand new purchased and installed. Measured before disconnecting

Reply to
linnix

(1) Check the cells of the battery with a hydrometer. You may have a shorted cell.

(2) Where does the voltage go to when you rev up the engine? ...Jim Thompson