Problem with IBM T21 notebook on-topic here?

Hello,

I don't know if it's okay to ask here for help with the repair of a notebook. Therefore please don't hesitate to tell me the right ng.

The T21 notebook (2647-67G, 20 GB, 512 MB) will sometimes not boot up after status bar reaches 80% on Win2K boot screen (latest SP). The motherboard completely freezes, no mouse, no Think light, no Num Lock. You have to switch it off by pressing the power button for several seconds. Sometimes it will work when powered up a second time, sometimes you have to try several times until it works.

Could it be that this is sort of the so called "Blink Of Death" (BOD) syndrome? See

Unfortunately nobody in this forum has found a reliable solution for the problem till today.

Does any of you experts here know the answer for my 64,000 $ question?

CU

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

AJ schrieb:

Not really! It's a W2K system. And it's not only me who suffers from this notebook syndrome: obviously there are a lot of IBM T2x users who are confronted with the same problem as I found out by searching for a solution in IBM notebook forums. Unfortunately there seems to be no successful therapy until now.

If I was familiar with computer electronics I'd have done those things. I must admit that I don't know at all where to start and how to do those tests. If someone told me to measure voltage at point X or clock frequency at point Y or change this resistor or that capacitor/transistor I would do this without hesitation. Unfortunately, a notebook is a little different from amplifiers, cd players etc.

I'm sorry but I don't know which additional information I could have given or which could be important. I did hope someone of you experts would know this problem and could tell me 'Do this and that'. Maybe it's too special a problem :-(.

Best regards

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

Hello Reinhard I have also the same T21 as you. (I have also T30.) In T21 and with W2K I had the very same problem as you. I do not what was the reason for problem but I think that it was some kind of corruption of W2K or some missing or corrupted T21 system files. However I fixed the problem with running recovery with IBM T21 Recovery CD and running also Software Selections CD for other needed T21 sw and I used also IBM CD-ROM for device drivers. Those three CD's came with T21. This recovery process formats whole hard drive. I also asked instructions from IBM support. Above works; good luck.

Cheers, Timo

Reply to
timo.dahlgren