Airbus crash - carbon?

There is redundancy in the fly by wire controls. How much? Well it's not my job.

Fly by wire is a good idea since it means you can put electronics in the loop to reduce pilot error, or at least detect if the pilot is about to do something stupid. Think of it like electronic stability in a modern automobile (ESP, VDC, or whatever your brand calls it.)

Reply to
miso

In theory, there is no "wrong place". That is, there is no single place where a failure can occur that can bring down an aircraft.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

On a sunny day (Wed, 3 Jun 2009 21:02:01 -0400) it happened "Martin Riddle" wrote in :

Yes, could be. I think: Explosion in cargo area. Some stuff falls down, depressurisation, cabling damaged, no electronics, no oxygen possibly. flies some more, crashes where the other debris found, while transmitting messages. There seems to have been a bomb alert.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"Martin Riddle" wrote in news:h076ef$gb0$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

it seems to have happened VERY quickly. The pilots had no time to radio any message.

35,000 ft altitude,a long time before hitting the water. (also,-above- most weather?)

IMO,a bomb seems the most likely cause.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Robert Baer wrote in news:x9ydnYwDqZ6C_brXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

there are redundant circuits and backup systems.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Strangely silent after one report on BBC... bomb threat for that flight number, several days before.

...Jim Thompson

True. However, that leaves serious room for error. An engineer can design, test and pass with creepage paths that would fail under certain conditions not covered. IOW you could fly under the radar screen. That's why, for example, EN60601 is very specific about that and mandates exact minimums.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

companies and gov'ts are fearful of this affecting their airlines and economy,thus little mention of possible bomb threats. They don't want to spook the public.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

In , Jim Yanik wrote in part:

Within something like 20 degrees from the centerline of the intertropical convergence zone, the tropopause is higher. It is common, maybe almost routine, for tropical thunderstorms to grow to 50,000-60,000 feet.

Don Klipstein

Or you could design to specified minimums and then encounter conditions for which they are inadequate. Some people will inevitably apply such design specs without understanding what the underlying assumptions were used to create them and then exceed those conditions.

Only through suffering comes wisdom. -- Zeus
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I guess in medical they don't trust design engineers as much as in aeronautics. Almost every detail is spec'd out to the nitty gritty. So when the TUEV guy flunks a design and a heated discussion ensues he can say "Look, it says eight millimeters right there and it ain't eight on the board". One guy didn't want to believe me that the old CSA didn't allow resettable thermofuses in transformers. Went to test, they peeled it apart ... boink. Then he believed it but his boss was not a happy camper that day ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Raveninghorde

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 22:59:13 +0100, Raveninghorde wrote: [snip]

Does the ±5° band apply to just the Atlantic, or is it worldwide?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

The seldom-mentioned upside:

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Mostly yes but that trust has limits. The rules and regs in medical make sense but I could never understand certain things, like why cardiac contact equipment did not have to be defibrillator-proof until recently. So I always made sure my designs were defibrillator-proof. After all, one cannot simply assume a doctor would would never panic and forget to disconnect before applying the paddles.

Manuals are not useful. I have seen medical equipment that was a decade old and the manuals sat there on a shelf. Still shrink-wrapped ...

Yeah, the rate payer. Our water district created themselves a new fat cash cow: The right to raise water rates up to wazoo when there is a drought. I knew what was coming and sure enough, right after that "decision" went through stage 1 was declared. All the dams are cresting over, tons of snow in the Sierra, but we are in stage 1 drought.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

This assumes that you trust the people who came up with 'eight millimeters' given the expected operating conditions. And that those conditions and limitations make their way into the operating manuals' restrictions section.

The lookup table approach is used heavily in the utility/power industry. The field engineers don't have the experience or the time to size everything to suit each installation, so they have a cheat sheet of what size works. Look it up in Table 310.16 and your butt is covered. So it weights twice what it has to. It doesn't have to fly and the rate payers pick up the tab for the extra material anyway.

Keep your gnosis out of my business!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I'd rather see the ones in the tee-shirts with just a touch of global cooling. ;-)

If the first attempt at making a drawing board had been a failure,
what would they go back to?
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Just think of all the oxygen released into the atmosphere from all the peroxide they used to prepare for their parade!

Michael A. Terrell

The tropics are and are expected to be warming less than the globe as a whole, and I had not heard until this article that tropical thunderstorms are supposed to get worse winds as a result of global warming. (Though I do hear about hurricanes worsening should tropical oceans warm significantly.)

Also, the worst thunderstorms for turbulence and wind are not in the tropics anyway, but form where extratropical horizontal temperature gradients lead to very strong upper level winds. The worst thunderstorms are supercells and the intense ones in some extratropical squall lines.

I think more likely this is weather that just sometimes happens and has always happened, and when someone first notices it, or when some location gets a record storm or record high temperature, or wacky weather hits a populated area (which we are getting more of) or causes a disaster, someone blames it on global warming.

Don Klipstein

It is worldwide. It does not have heavy rain and storms everywhere, but mainly over warmer waters, in rainforest areas and monsoon areas.

And, unlike what the article says, much of this zone, much of the time, is not centered over the equator. In most longitudes, it shifts seasonally, drifting a few degrees into the warmer hemisphere. In the Atlantic during hurricane season, it can be centered more than 5 degrees north of the equator. It even goes through India during the summer monsoon.

Don Klipstein