FYI: Adventures in (document) scanning

I've got a lot of scanners (they are useful in DTP). But, until recently, all were effectively "single sheet" devices (even those with feeders weren't particularly fast). They've been more geared to oversized scanning (tabloid as well as up to 40" wide media), high resolution (film scanners) and "one off" page scanners (keep a digital record of your real estate tax assessment, etc.)

A friend recently lent me a "really fast" (her words) scanner (Brother ADS-3600W). This was an eye-opener!

The 3600 will do ~50 sheets per minute, double-sided (so, 100 "pages" per minute). Documents must be reasonably narrow, though (letter/legal/and smaller -- 8.5" width)

The feeder will accommodate 50 sheets, though you can add to it as sheets are processed without interrupting the flow. This is probably not advised, though (see below).

It has WiFi and a wired 100/1000 NIC. A USB3 port connects to a PC. A USB port is available to scan directly to a thumb drive. The UI is via a small, color touch panel.

The only "supplies" are replacement rollers (after 200,000 sheets).

I opted for a 2400N which omits the WiFi, downgrades the USB to USB2 (which can be a bottleneck at higher scanning resolutions/page sizes) and replaces the touch panel with a set of programmable LPBs.

[My thinking: considerably cheaper (I paid $150 NIB vs closer to $400 for the 3600), I don't use WiFi and have wired drops all over the house, I'm not likely to want to have a dedicated PC to service this peripheral and 30 vs 50 ppm is a small concession for an activity that I don't plan on performing continuously. Also, a failure in the touch panel would mean the device would *have* to be operated from a PC whereas a broken button could be easily hacked!]

Looseleaf sheets/manuals are easy to process. I've set up one of the LPBs to signal "600x600 dpi, 24b color" and use this to scan the front and back covers (both sides of each) as they are often produced in color even if the content is B&W. A second LPB is set for "600x600 dpi, monochrome" (it dithers well so most greys are reproduced) which I use to scan the contents of the manual.

[600dpi seems to be about the low end for reliable OCR post-processing; for documents with very small typefaces, I scan at 1200x1200. For B-size foldouts, I scan on a flatbed scanner and import those pages individually to the document during reassembly.]

Both buttons route their output to an FTP service that runs, here, 24/7/365 so I can pick up the output without having to take any special steps. (I will set up a third option for SWMBO to scan to an SMB share on that same host as that's easier for her to deal with).

Each option causes ALL of the media to be scanned into a single PDF/A. I believe there are options to create a document per sheet but that's contrary to how I use it (I could always feed a single sheet in and end up with a single page PDF!)

This choice has consequences; if the scanner gags on anything (e.g., a jam -- see below), then the entire document is scrapped. If sheet 49 of a 50 sheet document chokes, then you have to rescan ALL the previous sheets, again!

[IIRC, the scanner has 256MB of internal memory; 512MB for the 3600W. I've never encountered a PDF that approaches that size]

Jams have been an issue, for me, as I have been "ripping" books (I have a large paper "guillotine" that cuts off the binding, converting the book to front+back cover and a bunch of loose sheets). For perfect bindings, this often results in some glue being left on the edges of *some* pages (particularly the pages adjoining the covers -- have a look see, for yourself!).

If, like me, you try to maximize the paper size fed into the scanner (to minimize risk of something close to the binding edge being "cut off"), then there is an increased chance of this glue causing two adjacent pages to stick together along that edge (the glue often seeps *between* the pages during the binding process).

Note that the adhesion may be slight, but enough to cause those two pages to be fed concurrently. The scanner can detect this change in thickness and inhibit the feed. (if you have a Post-It note on a page, it will detect that, as well, regardless of where on the page it is encountered!)

It is surprisingly difficult to ensure that no two sheets are stuck together, e.g., by "fanning" the pages.

Another consequence of this glue residue is that it can transfer to the front/back CIS in the scanner -- where it must be removed with a weak solvent (alcohol seems to work).

Select the files that comprise each document (thumbnails are helpful to discover the cover of the NEXT document)

Context menu: "Combine files in Acrobat"

Acrobat: "Organize Pages" Review pages for any that stand out as "odd" Drag rear cover (recto and verso) to reposition after the last scanned page. "Save as Other | PDF/A"

Every 5,000 sheets (10,000 images), the scanner throws a "maintenance alert" to indicate cleaning is needed. Wipe out the paper dust, clean the rollers with a damp cloth. Wait to air dry.

I've not yet had to replace the roller assemblies and imagine I will largely finish my scanning before that time comes (200,000 sheets -- 400,000 pages!)

There are lots of other features -- but those likely only have value in a more traditional "office" (e.g., "scan-to-email" as a FAX emulator)

Reply to
Don Y

I had been looking around at the different models (there are

4 offerings in that "family") at different online vendors, auction houses, overstock, etc. Eventually, I stumbled on one listed at 150 (or maybe 160? -- before tax) and that made up my mind for me. :> As with everything, if you aren't pressed to make a purchase NOW, you have a greater chance of finding a deal...

When I received it, it had a record of *2* pages scanned (front and back of ONE sheet of paper; I consider that "new" :> )

I don't think many people are interested in scanners -- unless corporate types who need them to process paper in their front offices (I think this one has an expected usage of 2000pp per day -- who the hell does that??) When I finish processing all of my "paper to discard", this will likely sit on a shelf.

There are, I believe, 4 devices in the "family". The 2400N is wired network only (no wifi or touch screen). The 3000N is a faster version (USB3 and 50ppm) also without wifi. Then, the 3600W (like the 3000 but wifi and touch screen) and maybe a 2800W (like the 2400 but wifi and touch screen).

At least, that's how I remember them.

The driver/utility/etc. is the same for all of them.

You can install the driver in "direct connected" (USB) mode or "network accessed". So, install "direct connect" on one machine (as you may need to talk directly to it in order to set up some defaults, networking, etc.). Then, "network accessed" for all other machines you may have.

[You can access the device's configuration via a variety of protocols: telnet, web server, ftp, etc. but I think a hard-wired connection is always a nice fall-back. I just never plug the USB cable in on mine!]

In practice, it's easier just to set up the front panel buttons (2400/3000) and let it *push* the scans to your desired destination instead of "babysitting it" with a PC.

[Note that the USB2 i/f causes the scanner to slow down as it waits for your PC to accept the scanned images. Thruput drops markedly. OTOH, scanning to an FTP service (or an SMB share) has no impact on scanning speed as the i/f runs faster than the scanner.]

I'm a little annoyed at the 8.5" width limitation as I have some things that exceed that. I may end up buying yet another device as getting rid of all this paper is intoxicating -- 60,000 pages (30,000 sheets -- about 3 cartons of xerox paper), thus far!

[Figure that's about 20 hours of work]
Reply to
Don Y

I recall many "previously used" units on eBay that were offered at a low price. But, you have to be wary that all of the parts are present as I noticed some missing power supplies ("bricks"), others missing the feeder guide or output collector. There are some odds-and-ends that might have been misplaced by a previous owner (driver CD, scanning "pouch" for flimsy documents, etc.) but they're likely not essential (driver is available from web site)

No way to know how many scans are recorded on the rollers without querying the device. But, a new set of rollers can be found for as little as $30 (again, if you look hard as MSRP is closer to $75; I see some on ebay at $40 presently)

No guarantee that something won't BREAK soon after purchase (I have that same problem) but I think the "planned replacement" is the roller assemblies -- for obvious reasons.

[I guess it is also possible that the CIS can be scratched if abused. But, imagine the more realistic scenario is that it needs a good cleaning (isopropyl for *just* the CIS, not the rollers, etc.)]

No, it's more like *6* cartons as each holds ten 500 sheet reams.

I initially wanted to have ~10,000 pages of manuals scanned by a service bureau. But, they quoted me $300 -- which got me looking into rolling my own solution. That was The Right Choice, for me, as it has enabled me to get rid of a LOT of paper!

(and I haven't even started on financial records, project notes, etc.)

Reply to
Don Y

I refuse to use inkjets; the ink is more expensive than cocaine!

And, I'm not keen on the "all-in-one" printer/scanner/fax boxes.

For "low frequency" printing, I have a pair of LaserJet 5p/6p. I paid $10 for each of them and have only had to purchase one toner cartridge (I subsequently rescued 3 NIB so I figure I'm set for life!)

I discarded all of my color printers -- Phasers, color laserjets, a wide-format inkjet, etc. and now walk to the local Kinkos when I need a *quality* color print (or, need to print on my own paper/cardstock). If I just want a color print, the local library will do it for 10c/sheet -- hard to beat that price!

[I think I still have a color "photo printer", somewhere -- it doesn't see much use as I'm not big on having hard-copies of photos lying around]

Prior to this scanner, I would use a gravity fed Canon for the "one off" pages that often need to be scanned (e.g., mailing in your vehicle registration, property tax payment, etc.). Anything larger (B-size) I have a pair of "tabloid" scanners to accommodate.

For film (35mm, 4x6, etc.) I have a film scanner (very high resolution). And, for really big documents (E-size), I have a wide-format scanner. (I think I may have forgotten one or two -- I have WAY too much "stuff"!)

Having separate "appliances" is tedious in some cases (e.g., if I want to make a *copy* of something, I have to scan it and then *print* it; but, I can print that anywhere, not just on the machine that happened to do the scan). If I was doing that sort of thing more often, then I'd look for an even nicer scanner (and printer).

Unless you need instant access to scans or prints, consider a local service bureau. I got so tired of having to maintain the color printers for the infrequent use I made of them!

The B&W laserjets, OTOH, have some utility as often you may want to just get a hard-copy of a web page -- that you may end up discarding a day later. I'd hate to have to make a trip to the library just to pick up a single sheet of paper!

Reply to
Don Y

a a snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Why do you show everyone that you have zero logical process skills with every post you make.

You can tell us... what nym did you use two months ago?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Possibly the A a troll was posting as the John Dope troll two months ago.

Reply to
Bertrand Sindri

Good point. In the early digital-photography days, Kodak put up kiosks everywhere, with good high-quality digital print, AND they serviced them, so Kodak-quality-control inks and papers would reliably be used.

Then Kodak corporation imploded... some of those kiosks are still around, but there's foibles that stopped or sidelined the process, last time I visited one. I could find, and print, most (but not all) of my picture files. Print quality is still good, but the software needs updates.

Reply to
whit3rd

Total nonsense. Have you ever tried using a smartphone camera to scan documents? The results are nowhere near as good and it takes longer. (Yes I have tried it.)

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Google do not use a smartphone camera. Scanning books requires a lot of attention to details. The usual method when the book must be preserved intact is to have an inverted V-shaped glass structure that forces the pages to be flat without breaking the spine of the book. If the book can be destroyed, then the spine can be removed and the scanning becomes much more conventional as described by Don Y. Getting the uniformity and angle of the lighting right is also important. Again, this is very difficult to do well with a smartphone.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

I don't rely on any of my cameras for quality *color* reproduction. Instead, I use a scanner and calibrate it (IT8 targets) just prior to use (cuz things "drift").

I can similarly calibrate a printer (though you start stacking up errors).

And, have a gizmo that lets me calibrate *my* monitors. But, that does nothing to ensure *your* monitor displays *my* photo correctly!

But, calibrating a camera is a crap shoot; you also have to deal with the lighting (which is hard to control unless you have a light box AND a repeatable way of positioning the camera wrt the subject), alignment of camera to subject, etc.

[When SWMBO wants a photo of some piece of art that she's made, if possible, I use a flatbed scanner -- and remind her that there is no guarantee that the folks she is sending it to will see it' the same way *she* sees the original!]

I use cameras for informal documentation -- like to show someone that a blood orange is a different color than a "regular" orange (I don't expect their monitor to accurately reproduce ANY of these colors but, hopefully, show a notable difference)

But, this is a helluvalot of work that you can often outsource. Let someone else maintain their printers, scanners, etc. and just "rent them".

Reply to
Don Y

When the first Reading Machines were designed, COTS scanners weren't available. So, we had to build our own. This was a 512 element CCD oriented *vertically* (instead of horizontally) on an X-Y mechanism of our own creation. (much slower than a modern flatbed scanner but, then again, you were ultimately limited to how quickly it could *speak* so little value to capturing images faster than you can analyze them! Esp when you only had ~32KW of core for CODE+DATA)

One of the primary design criteria was to be able to put an existing book (which may be of varied thickness) opened to *any* page on the scanner and ensure that the camera/sensor could peer deep into the binding edge lest it "miss" some content.

If you look at most modern *flatbed* scanners, this isn't possible. And definitely not possible with gravity fed, sheet scanners!

If you look at fixed camera scanners, you have an even worse problem as few bindings are *designed* to "lie flat" (these are discarded quite often at local auctions as they take up more space than a "sheet scanner" and offer little in return)

Finally, you want a mechanism that can feed pages as fast as the scanner can capture them. If you have to flip pages in a book, you'll spend a *day* trying to scan just one book!

(I scan > 2000 pages daily; > 1000 sheets that would have to be "fed" into a scanner "by hand". Ain't gonna happen!)

Reply to
Don Y