Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

> [snipped]

Actually you could be right about it being an industry thing. I was watching this vid

and he also says 'led' (at around 5m32s). Lazy buggers - I hope it doesn't catch on in general usage.

> Shame, he's got some good info to share otherwise. If only he could >> modulate his infomercial style presentation.... > > Takes some getting used to for sure. I'm OK with it now, but at first > found it irritating.

I might persevere then. As I mentioned a few searches have lead me to his channel. ;-)

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Yeah saw the same vid and noticed that too. Still lazy IMO.

He's done a write-up now showing the calculations etc used to debunk (just for you :-)

Check the latest blog.

Reply to
Clocky

Yep. Seems they know each other, at least they chat in comments with each other. Hopefully it's only those two and it doesn't spread. (Like that's going to happen, people are getting more and more lazy with regards to language.)

Heh! I agreed with him anyway - well rather he agrees with me as I formed my opinion / did my calculations before he posted that. ;-)

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Really? So EXACTLY where did you post your calculations and WHEN???? Dave is honest and upfront, are you??

Reply to
BuckyBalls

Once upon a time on usenet BuckyBalls"

Reply to
~misfit~

What is with the agro?

Reply to
Clocky

Reply to
BuckyBalls

Not meaning to be agro, just why is saying 'LED' as aword is any different from saying 'RAM'. Dave J. has far more cred than you have, so when he says 'LED' you should take note. Why aren't you whingers complaining about the way the yanks say SODDER instead of SOLDER???

Reply to
yaputya

Reply to
yaputya

Reply to
~misfit~

True, and I think especially in this case because saying "Led Lighting" that way would sound the same as "Leadlighting", and that's just not going to help society in the long run.

I don't know about Dave Jones, but I think Mike Harrison has a bit of an excuse because his job is in building lighting installations. If you're with someone trying to diagnose a fault in an array of a few hundred LEDs, I think it's understandable to go the easy route.

As far as I'm concerned: widespread adoption = bad. Use during in-depth chatter amongst electronics nerds = acceptable.

Yes, the last thing you want is to be _Led_ down that path.

I'll run away now...

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Say "Led illumination", "Led lamp(s)" etc is there a risk of confusion.

Why should we have all the fun?

Perhaps you are dragging feet of lead?

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

I still believe the average Joe doesn't have a clue what L.E.D. stands for, so the writing is on the wall for you 'spellers'. Anyway, everyone has avoided the obvious questions - why is FET RAM DOS etc. acceptable and LED is not? You ain't making any sense with that logic. Oh. and only an idiot would confuse LED with LEAD etc. when used in context. But then, only idiots seem to be upset with the acronym as used by David L Jones etc.....

Reply to
BuckyBalls

;-)

--
Shaun.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
~misfit~

Yeah, like how ROMs refer to firmware/binaries now and is DOS Denial of Service or Disk Operating System?

Just because some people are lazy and/or clueless doesn't mean we must all accept it.

Reply to
Clocky

Like that has anything to do with LEDs......they will hardly be confused with anything else (unless your English is very bad and you can't tell the obvious meaning from context.)

Language is not set in stone, and nobody arguing for 'el' 'ee' 'dee' has explained why MOSFET is OK but LED is not. What often happens over time is acronyms that can be pronounced as a word tend to end up being pronounced as a word, so you get NASA, LASER, CRO, MOSFET, FIFA etc. while others that are not easily said as a word stay as abbreviations and are spelt out, like LCD, PCB, FBI, BBC, TV, DSO, DVD etc. This trend has nothing to do with being lazy or careless, it just reflects the real-world usage and the tendency to make language more efficient. (The more astute reader will note there is a pattern in deciding whether an acronym can be pronounced as a word or needs to be spelt out. It has to do with the presence and position of the vowel(s).)

I have noticed that OLED is often being pronounced as a single word, since spelling out the abbreviation sounds clumsy. LED is the same.

BuckyBalls

. . .

In a previous life I was confronted with acronyms all day and every day. There seemed to be regional differences as to whether people pronounced some as words or not. Most Aussies pronounced CICS as kicks, while the Yanks tended to spell it out as sea eye sea es.

There were some "contrived" acronyms that were always pronounced, such at the CATBERT - Collector Attribute Table for Block Extension Reuse Table - there was also a DILBERT and DOGBERT.

Yet others were half spelled, and half pronounced. VTAM was never vee tee ay em, but always vee tam, and DASD was daz dee.

Reply to
Andy Wood

es-RAM and dee-RAM and eeh-PROM for instance.

Reply to
Clocky

There's ORCA the Organisation for Really Contrived Acronyms..

I like this one from OZ BUGA UP

BuckyBalls

Following on from BUGA UP, are there any old farts here who saw the billboard for 7 NEWS circa 1980 that was 'improved' by BUGA UP style graffiti?

The billboard originally just read "7 NEWS The best news you'll get all day" To which was added "Fraser run over by tractor".

Reply to
BuckyBalls