Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

[snipped]

Actually you could be right about it being an industry thing. I was watching
this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LEN_HNFK40
and he also says 'led'
(at around 5m32s). Lazy buggers - I hope it doesn't catch on in general
usage.

I might persevere then. As I mentioned a few searches have lead <cough> me
to his channel. ;-)
--
Shaun.

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

Yeah saw the same vid and noticed that too. Still lazy IMO.

He's done a write-up now showing the calculations etc used to debunk
(just for you :-)

Check the latest blog.

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

Yep. Seems they know each other, at least they chat in comments with each
other. Hopefully it's only those two and it doesn't spread. (Like that's
going to happen, people are getting more and more lazy with regards to
language.)

Heh! I agreed with him anyway - well rather he agrees with me as I formed my
opinion / did my calculations before he posted that. ;-)
--
Shaun.

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

Really?
So EXACTLY where did you post your calculations and WHEN????
Dave is honest and upfront, are you??

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

I didn't post them although there were notes jotted on an old envelope after
looking up alkaline cell manufacturers specs.

Three posts from you in short order attacking my opinions in a very
aggressive manner. Are you always confrontational or do you just have a
hard-on for me? (I see in one of them you actually replied to a post of mine
but a paragraph of Clockys though - not enough blood to run two organs at
once?)
--
Shaun.

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

Sensitive little fellow, aren't you?
I see you avoided actually responding -  do you say 'RAM' 'ROM' 'FET'
etc. or do you spell them out? Why should 'LED' be any different?

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

No response = no answer

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

The prize for most meaningless and obvious post (quoting a thesaurus for no
apparent reason) for 2015 goes to...... yap yap yaputya!!!!!!!

P.S. ATM, ABS, MRI aren't sounded out. It seems that (lazy) people only
sound out acronyms that have a vowel in the middle because that's easy. Also
there are alreay several different meanings for words that sound exactly
like 'led' so I take issue with that one being sounded out as a lot of the
time it could lead to confusion. That's why, in the decades since LEDs have
been around they've always been called El Ee Dees. RAM, ROM and FET were
almost instantly sounded out as there was little chance of confusion (unless
you were a sheep farmer computer technician of low IQ).

It's only now that a small sub-set of the population (on youtube no less
"look I'm a trend-setter!") are showing how lazy they are (or more likely
how bad their pronunciation / enunciation is). <shrug>

Those are my last words on the subject as it seems this group isn't quite as
'grown up' as I thought it was and it's easy to get dragged into mudslinging
by people who live in mud and so are more comfortable with it than I. It's a
shame when there are people in a group who jump into threads boots first
suggesting another poster is dishonest and being condescending while adding
nothing positive.
--
Shaun.

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

True, and I think especially in this case because saying "Led Lighting" that
way would sound the same as "Leadlighting", and that's just not going to help
society in the long run.

I don't know about Dave Jones, but I think Mike Harrison has a bit of an
excuse because his job is in building lighting installations. If you're with
someone trying to diagnose a fault in an array of a few hundred LEDs, I
think it's understandable to go the easy route.

As far as I'm concerned: widespread adoption = bad. Use during in-depth
chatter amongst electronics nerds = acceptable.

Yes, the last thing you want is to be _Led_ down that path.

I'll run away now...

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

Say "Led illumination", "Led lamp(s)" etc is there a risk of confusion.

Why should we have all the fun?

Perhaps you are dragging feet of lead?

--
umop apisdn

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

I still believe the average Joe doesn't have a clue what L.E.D. stands
for, so the writing is on the wall for you 'spellers'.
Anyway, everyone has avoided the obvious questions - why is FET RAM DOS
etc. acceptable and LED is not? You ain't making any sense with that
logic. Oh. and only an idiot would confuse LED with LEAD etc. when used
in context. But then, only idiots seem to be upset with the acronym as
used by David L Jones etc.....

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

Yeah, like how ROMs refer to firmware/binaries now and is DOS Denial of
Service or Disk Operating System?

Just because some people are lazy and/or clueless doesn't mean we must
all accept it.

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

Like that has anything to do with LEDs......they will hardly be confused
with anything else (unless your English is very bad and you can't tell
the obvious meaning from context.)

Language is not set in stone, and nobody arguing for 'el' 'ee' 'dee' has
explained why MOSFET is OK but LED is not. What often happens over time
is acronyms that can be pronounced as a word tend to end up being
pronounced as a word, so you get NASA, LASER, CRO, MOSFET, FIFA etc.
while others that are not easily said as a word stay as abbreviations
and are spelt out, like LCD, PCB, FBI, BBC, TV, DSO, DVD etc. This trend
has nothing to do with being lazy or careless, it just reflects the
real-world usage and the tendency to make language more efficient.
(The more astute reader will note there is a pattern in deciding whether
an acronym can be pronounced as a word or needs to be spelt out. It has
to do with the presence and position of the vowel(s).)

I have noticed that OLED is often being pronounced as a single word,
since spelling out the abbreviation sounds clumsy. LED is the same.
http://www.oled-info.com/

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

. . .

In a previous life I was confronted with acronyms all day and every day.
There seemed to be regional differences as to whether people pronounced some
as words or not. Most Aussies pronounced CICS as kicks, while the Yanks
tended to spell it out as sea eye sea es.

There were some "contrived" acronyms that were always pronounced, such at
the CATBERT - Collector Attribute Table for Block Extension Reuse Table -
there was also a DILBERT and DOGBERT.

Yet others were half spelled, and half pronounced. VTAM was never vee tee ay
em, but always vee tam, and DASD was daz dee.

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

es-RAM and dee-RAM and eeh-PROM for instance.

Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

There's ORCA the Organisation for Really Contrived Acronyms..
http://orcacronyms.blogspot.de/

I like this one from OZ
BUGA UP http://www.bugaup.org/

OT Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

Following on from BUGA UP, are there any old farts here who saw the
billboard for 7 NEWS circa 1980 that was 'improved' by BUGA UP style
graffiti?

The billboard originally just read "7 NEWS The best news you'll get all day"
To which was added "Fraser run over by tractor".

Re: OT Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent
Once upon a time on usenet BuckyBalls" <"The Pres wrote:
[snip]

Every time I drive past a local church that has a big sign outside saying
"Jesus Heals!" it makes me want to write "So do I - and I've got the scars
to prove it!". (Or "So why do stigmata bleed then?")  <g>
--
Shaun.

Re: OT Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

Where I grew up (another place and time, that is for sure) I could see a
huge red neon sign over the other side of town. "Jesus red" it proclaimed,
and I never really thought about what it meant, other than the colour of the
sign suited the message. Years later, the penny dropped, it was the local
lingo for "Jesus saves". And so should you.

Re: OT Re: Batteriser claims to be able to extend disposable battery life by 800 percent

The church signs with 'JESUS IS COMING' always raise a laugh...

Site Timeline