Advantages of Parallel Hz

I mentioned this earlier to him albeit without detailed example. But Radium seems to conveniently overlooked it so I figured he's probably not going to answer even if I repeated it a second time. Or maybe he didn't understand the implications of my statement but let's see if he does with your detailed example :ppPp

--
A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,

I think it is likely he didn't understand your point. He appears to be inteligent but ignorant. He didn't know where the leakage current happened for example.

Reply to
MooseFET

SB16 ISA's FM synth doesn't freshly generate its instructions.

It freshly synthesizes (electrical representations of) sounds based on instructions it receives from the device that owns, and is controlling, the ISA bus.

Go ahead! Build one and show us how it's done! If you're just trying to convince somebody to do the work for you, then offer money. ;-)

If you're looking for someone to show you how to implement your ideas, then please learn how to visit the astral plane.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Okay. That is what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I want my CPU to freshly generate electronic signals [instead of playing them back from ROM] "based on instructions it receives from the device that owns, and is controlling" it.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Sometimes, I need to be told what I want.

Reply to
Radium

So you want micro code :-) But where do you get the instructions that control the micro code from? Or are you generating those instructions too? If so, where do those instructions come from? And so on...

You always need to store and play back instructions one way or another, they can't generate themselves automatically you know. Lots of people would be out of a job if computers could write their own software...

Thanks for making my day!

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

No microcode.

Yes.

Hardware logic.

If you read the wikipedia links I posted and quoted, you'll find that there is a real-time, hardware-based alternative to ROM and microcode.

Reply to
Radium

*willfully* ignorant. I explained to him how to end his ignorance (buy a ptotoboard and some logic chips and start building things). He thanked me and continied down his former path (posting wild theories based on not knowing how things work.)
Reply to
Guy Macon

Well you're in luck then as most CPUs don't have any micro code anymore. Look up RISC. It would be easier for people to understand you if you used the correct terms to describe what you want...

You should read some books about how CPUs actually work. Instructions are executed, not generated, by hardware logic. Instructions are ultimately generated by humans, usually via one or more translation steps.

You mean RISC? The kind of CPU that you want already exists.

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

He said he is Aspergered. This will mean that he may have some trouble really understanding your suggestion and its intended purpose. It doesn't prevent him from learning electronics but he will have to develop his own was of dealing with things. It is likely that he will work in terms of images in places you would work with equations.

Reply to
MooseFET

Most modern ones do (have microcode), even RISC processors. For example, among the PowerPCs, only the 60x and 750s are hard-wired. Power4 (including PPC-970), and Power 5 are microcoded. Many instructions translate to one microinstruction but the microcode is there. Many are cracked into two microinstructions and others have vertical microcode.

generated

Not many any more.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Most RISCs do not contain microcode - not having any microcode is one of the criteria of being called RISC! While POWER has complex instructions, only a few instructions are complex and they are effectively expanded rather than microcoded. Calling Power4 & 5 microcoded is like calling x86 RISC!

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

controlling,

the

No, "RISC" does not mean no microcode. RISC == simple instructions, for example, no arithmetic on memory instructions.

No, it has no "complex" instructions. There are no read-operate, write-operate, or any such combination. Each instruction is quite simple.

Sorry, but The Power4 and 5 certainly are microcoded.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Simple instructions in the architecture implies no microcode in the implementation.

Complex is a relative term. POWER, unlike most other RISCs, has quite a few complex instructions that take more than 1 cycle, do more than 1 memory access or have more than 2 input and 1 destination register (all RISC criteria). Examples are multiple load/store, load/store with base update, unaligned load/store, string instructions, and so on...

Alpha is an example of a pure RISC that only supports simple instructions.

They most definitely are not. You're confusing the out of order execution engine with a micro code engine. These are completely different beasts.

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

implementation.

Examples

string

[...]

And an example of a microcoded RISC processor.

There blows your theory ;-)

/daytripper

Reply to
daytripper

Troll.

Point me to a Alpha micro architecture document that proves it is micro coded.

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

My suggestion was that he work with actual electronic components. A proto-board and 74HC chips will teach him far more than this discussion ever will.

Guy Macon

Reply to
Guy Macon

I agree except that I'd suggest he start with CD4000B series parts. They are a lot more forgiving about long wires between them. A 9V battery can provide the power.

Reply to
MooseFET

Calling non-trolls "troll" devalues the value of the word when applied to real trolls.

From the Jargon File:

Troll

  1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT.

  1. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll."

Some people claim that the troll (sense 1) is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial.

The use of `troll' in either sense is a live metaphor that readily produces elaborations and combining forms. For example, one not infrequently sees the warning "Do not feed the troll" as part of a followup to troll postings.

See also Kook.

Guy Macon

Well that posting (and a few before that) were clearly Trolls according to your definition. Claiming all RISCs are microcoded is clearly ridiculous, and it looked like the posters knew that as they didn't provide any evidence. Their explanations may seem plausible to people who don't have a degree in Computer Science. Having various other people defending their reputation (rather than the claims made) made it an even more obvious Troll...

Radium on the other hand is just clueless, and doesn't fit the definition at all as he appears to listen to (and hopefully learns from) the replies.

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

all

Actually, I think we now haver to say "was clueless". He does appear to be learning. I don't think he is doing so efficiently but he is doing it. He is very like a lot of early students on the subject of electronics. He hasn't yet learned how to learn the subject.

Reply to
MooseFET