Adding missing SATA connectors to motherboard

Hundred layers?

We must have a language difference, because that is not even close to true in english.

In fact, I challenge you to find any 100 layer boards, anywhere, ever... within the next 30 years or more.

Reply to
kony

Just under, yes. Late '70s, yes.

I can't help it if you can't comprehend simple English.

That statement simply shows the world your lack of experience.

Reply to
krw

Then quit posturing and show us!

Granted, there's not one second I buy this, but let's see what you come up with.

Reply to
kony

Christ, you can't even do your own math now. YOu really are an idiot.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I am neither.

It is also nothing I ever said. The kony retard that thinks he knows all about PCBs said it.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

My first hands-on direct exposure to large multilayer real estate was a 12 layer Control Data Terminal Systems CPU board which held about 400 MSI devices densely packed, made in 1970.

Michael

Reply to
msg

In article , snipped-for-privacy@spam.com says...>

Sorry, I don't have documentation from thirty years ago, nor would I have the hardware to display it.

Of course you don't. You want to live in your little protected world forever. The bigger world is scary, for those with such a limited mind.

Reply to
krw

You are, in fact, both.

You're also CantRead.

Reply to
krw

IBM mainframes. Our standard boards were 10 layer PWB + wirewrap overflow and customization in the '60s. The plug-in cards (nominally 18 per board) were usually 8 layer. Four were needed to power the ECL. In the late '70s things shifted to 100 (then 121) chip MCMs on huge boards (~3'x3', IIRC). These pretty much went away with the ECL processors. CMOS packed more into the chips without increasing the board wiring density much. The number of layers on the MCM boards was dictated by timing and impedance control required as much as density.

Reply to
krw

At the risk of damping down this lovely flame war, here's a 2004 article on the IBM z990 series machines that discusses the module and board layer buildups in detail:

The net: 110 layers in the modules and 30 in the cards.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I didn't work on the 'z' series (left for BTV during the ES9000 to 'z' changeover).

Thanks Phil. The 3081-ES9000 boards were much larger and had more layers (lower integration by several orders of magnitude). I did a search on the ibm.com site and didn't turn anything up on the older stuff ("Clark Board" was some sort of philanthropic organization, or something).

Reply to
krw

FatBytestard

While that is interesting, it isn't a 100 layer mainboard PCB? It seems we are not talking about the same thing, although a search of the document did not find "110" anywhere, what page is that on?

Reply to
kony

An IC chip is not a mainboard. Did I write that nothing man has ever built had 100 or more layers? No. It seems both of us should have been more clear on what we meant.

Reply to
kony

Since this topic has no further productive value there is no reason to waste more time on it.

Reply to
kony

Come back perhaps in your next life. You are hard wired retarded in this one.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

You're an idiot. Is that clear enough for you, you clouded f*ck?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Or in other words, your claim about only two layers before 1985 was ludicrous, so you are exiting stage left, since you are about as wrong as it gets.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

In article , snipped-for-privacy@spam.com says...>

You *DID* say that 2-layers was all there was before 1980, which shows your absolute ignorance on the subject. 2-layer boards may have been the norm for consumer electronics (hell, some VCRs are only one now) but there is obviously a big world out there you have no clue about. ...and apparently want to keep it that way.

Reply to
krw

Just out of curiosity, after oh maybe your 3000th troll, did you think anyone would take your comments seriously? That's not really a question.

Reply to
kony