Soldering Capacitors to Motherboard

I had 5 bad capacitors on my Gigabyte motherboard that was well out of warranty. I got all of them desoldered and ordered new caps. The problem is that the new ones are bigger than the old ones. For me to solder the new caps in I will have to leave about 1/16"-1/8" of the lead exposed. It will not be able to sit on the board as the old ones did.

I figured I could use some heat shrink tubing around the base of the cap to "insulate" the leads from anything coming acrossed them and shorting them out.

My question is: Is it acceptable to solder these to the board with a small amount of the leads exposed?

Thanks for any help.

-Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

We used to change caps on motherboards a lot, if its only a few mm then it probably wont do any harm, We never tried it though! make sure you fit quality caps 105deg at least. If they are not the same spec cap or better then you could have stability problems at worst.

HTH Chris

Reply to
exxos

I'd say yes, electrolytic capacitors have relatively high internal resistance compared to other types of capacitors I doubt that the excess leads will do any harm.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

I added to some caps on my MoBo under it additional block ones of

100nF; the result: temperature drop on main electrolitic ones from 5 to even 10°C !

-- Seasons Greetings & Regards , SPAJKY ® mail addr. @ my site @

more than 3y - "Tualatin OC-ed / BX-Slot1 / inaudible setup!"

Reply to
Spajky