motherboard fan connectors - manufacturer and type?

Hi,

I've a graphics card where the fan connector is a little 2 pin job. It's not the same as motherboard fan connecters (molex KK AFAIK) in that the PCB header is shrouded on all sides (MB ones are open except for plastic side clip). The cable socket has a plastic retain barb molded on the side.

Any suggestions for manufacturer and type?

TIA

--

Malcolm

Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK ( snipped-for-privacy@fullcircuit.com, snipped-for-privacy@fullcircuit.co.uk or snipped-for-privacy@iee.org). Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

or

NEW -

- The Consultant A-List

Reply to
Malcolm Reeves

"Malcolm Reeves" wrote

I take it you want to replace the fan.

If It Were My Computer (IIWMC) I would cut the cable to the old fan and cut the connector off the new fan and splice the two cables together.

OTOH, if you really need the connector info: what is the pitch on the new connector? 0.1", 0.05", 2.5mm ... and what is the pin size? 0.025"? .... What is the plug dimension, what is the shroud outer dimension? ... date of birth ... mother's maiden name ... name of pet ...?

Oh, it's fun to charter a consultant, and sail the wide consultancy.

- wait, haven't I heard that somewhere before ...

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

No, the fan is on a graphics card (Gigabyte FX5900 PCI-E) and it b^&*! noisy (compared to the shuttle it's in). It's a special heatsink/fan assembly and it seems to be glued to the chip so replacement of the fan is not an option. I just hope it never fails! Possibly if I were to warm the entire board it might come off - it could be a phase change heatsink pad but instead I'm building a quick circuit to control the fan voltage from 0-12V over the range 25C-50C on the heatsink. In normal use it seems like the fan is not needed (you can software sense the internal chip temperature), or at most work acceptably at a lower, quieter, speed.

But this would probably (certainly ?) invalidate the graphics card warranty so not recommended :-).

It fits a molex KK header so 0.1" pitch but could be 2.5mm. It's smaller than KK and shorter in length. I've seen these before on PC I think so they must be fairly standard.

Chartered as in Royal Charter. Similar to your professional engineer or the term engineer in Canada and others. You have to pass exams, and peer review to become chartered. In UK you can't just call yourself a chartered engineer like you can just call yourself an engineer.

Merry Xmas

--

 (mreeves@fullcircuit.com, mreeves@fullcircuit.co.uk or mreeves@iee.org).
 Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
 electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

 http://www.fullcircuit.com      or    http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - www.CharteredConsultant.co.uk - The Consultant A-List
Reply to
Malcolm Reeves