Added Series "Dropping" Resistor on Drain Provides Temp. Compensation?

Hello,

I have 2-18GHz MMIC amplifiers that I buy off the shelf from companies like Velocium and Hittite. Pretty small signal stuff, like at max 18dBm output, although sometimes I'll compress them, so it's not all Class A.

The data sheets ask for a nominal drain voltage, but since all the amps have different values, what I end up doing is supplying them all from one +7VDC regulator, and use various dropping resistors to target the desired Vdd (usually around +3 to +6 volts), based on the average operating current (around 50-150mA or so). There are plenty of decoupling caps on the regulator side of the resistors, so a good AC short to ground is maintained.

My question is can I consider the action of adding a series resistor to the drain supply (thereby making them more like current-sources instead of voltage sources) a method of adding built-in temperature compensation to the amplifier?

It seems to me that as the transconductance goes down with colder temp, that there will be less current and less voltage drop across the resistor, and so a higher drain voltage. Thanks for your input.

Slick

Reply to
radio913

so ya i have no idea what your talking about but i had to post one of these comments for my class so dont pay any mind to it ok well bye

Reply to
murryfr2005

thats cool man nice but hey heres tyhe thing i am workin on my pc and tryin to fig out if i can go from a 754 socket motherboard to a 949 one you know if i can?

Reply to
murryfr2005

I don't see the value in that reasoning, because gm = Ic/VT, where VT = kT/q, for a negative transconductance tempco with constant current. [To eliminate gm tempco you need to use a PTAT (proportional to absolute temperature) current source. To get a PTAT CS, use a BJT with Vb = Vg0 = 1.23V (e.g. an LM385-1.2 or LM4041 reference) and an emitter resistor. Vg0 is the bandgap of silicon extrapolated to 0K, where 0K means absolute zero... alphabet soup.]

You may find saving a bunch of regulators appealing for a personal one-off, but I wouldn't do it for any serious use or for production. A low-current part would experience more voltage than intended, perhaps even damaging it, and a high-current part would have inadequate voltage, and be unable to reach the specified output power. Even if you trim the resistors for your one-off, if you ever needed to change a component, you'd be back to square one. Not good.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Check the app notes, many MMIC RF amps REQUIRE a sereis resistor to stabilize the current vs temperature...

what you reaaly want is to construct the V/I load line of the amp at various temperatures and then see what the voltage and current will be for various supply and resistor values.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I suppose my question is really this:

Will the ouput power of a MMIC vary less over temp with a series dropping resistor (more like a current source) than with a straight voltage source.

The question is complicated by the fact that the MMIC will have built in RF chokes on the die, so we are not actually tied to the drain directly.

That's not really a concern because even if the device draws zero current, the voltage from the regulator will still be less than the absolute maximum drain voltage rating on the data sheets.

And as the other poster mentions, the MMIC supplier recommends a dropping resistor in the data sheet for proper operation. It would have to be extreme lot to lot and wafer variations for us to need to adjust these during production (once we dial them in during prototyping).

Thank you for the input, Mr. Hill.

Dr. Slick

Reply to
radio913

That's the reason we are using dropping resistors in the first place. It seems you agree with me then that one of the reasons for using the dropping resistor is for temp comp.

Well, if you look at an AC load line (assume linear class A for simplicity) over your DC I/V curves, you can see how lowering your drain voltage will begin to compress your amplifier sooner, at a lower output power. So if we lower the transconductance at high temp, the entire AC load line is shifted down, and the average drain current drops. But if we increase the drain voltage, then we shift the load line to the right, and can get the voltage swing back to the room temp values.

A bit simplistic of a model, i'll agree, but seems to make sense.

Slick

Reply to
radio913

[...]

A bit simplistic of a model, i admit, but seems to make sense.

Slick

Reply to
radio913