OT: Elevator Algorithm

Having spent the last two days attending meetings in a high-rise, I was musing...

What algorithm is used to ensure that the elevator door that you are standing in front of WILL NOT BE the one that opens ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

An algorithm? I thought is was a reflection of the natural law that makes the probability of encountering a cop (or a prostitute, or a car salesman) an inverse function of your desire for one.

Reply to
Stephen J. Rush

Its a sensor they use that tell's the elevator to only stop on empty floors. :)

Reply to
James Thompson

In message , dated Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Jim Thompson writes

Murphymorphic resonance. Just like in the 'three doors' problem, you can improve your chances of success by switching to another door after waiting 20 seconds. (;-)

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

In message , dated Thu, 7 Sep

2006, James Thompson writes

What do you dial to get the apostrophe police? Is it 9'1'1'?

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

It's an adaptive algorithm that depends on the algorithm YOU use to select which door to stand near. The better your algorithm is, the better the elevators are at opening a door you're not standing near. But think of all the algorithmically-challenged people who stood near the "wrong" elevators, whom you helped.

- Tom Gootee

"He who lives in a glass house should not invite he who is without sin."

Reply to
tomg

How about when you walk up to a bank of four elevators just as they all open at the same time? It was really weird. Of course it was a government building.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That only happens if you stand *exactly* in the center equidistant from all four. The system cannot inconvenience you, so it tries to confuse you.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

the

near.

near

they

Hmmm.

The elevators are cursed and one of the three will take you directly to the sub-sub-sub-basement furnace as part of the pact that Government made in return for power without reckoning ;-)

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Obviously the elevator system must have thought that you either didn't care or weren't going to use an elevator. :-)

- Tom Gootee

Reply to
tomg

And then the one you move towards closes.

Reply to
Mark Fortune

It was at the VA hospital in Gainsville. The only reason to be where I was, was to use an elevator. They were in a small bay off the main hallway. ;)

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I was already at the lowest level in the building, just around the corner from the canteen. ;)

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, they are all set for the handicapped, so most of the time people end up pushing the "Close Door" button to reduce the wait time if no one is coming.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nice try, but they opened just as I came around the corner, into the elevator bay at the hospital. It reminded me of making the hour long drive home from work one night and having all 27 traffic lights green, when I rarely saw more than five green lights. That happened only the one time in my four years of working for UVCI on night shift in Cincinnati, Ohio.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hello Jim,

That would be the Murphy algorithm.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

all three of ours would only come to one floor for a fire alarm. dont get me started on the "fuzzy logic" controller, or how in a 13 story building, if your downbound, its often faster to get on the upbound one and wait for it to reverse, then to wait for the car you pushed for. Of course it will then stop first at the floor you got on at.

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

you missed you chance to try this one out for making the elevator non-stop

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Can we stop this topic? Someone with a sadistic mind already invented that and implemented it in a hospital. As a bonus that person made the doors close very soon after they opened. I had to use a plant to stop the doors so I could push my grandfather + wheelchair into the elevator.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

What floor was it, 7 1/2 ?