Series resistor.

I think I know this but I'd like to be sure. I need to affix a small neon indicator on to a 240V line. Would 80K be an appropriate resistor to use? Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

usually a bit more , 150 K perhaps

Reply to
N_Cook

Which neon indicator?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

82K is correct if the neon indicator has an internal resistor. If it's a 'bare' NE-2 lamp, use 130K.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

"klem kedidelhopper"

** The value of 80k is fine, but needs to be rated at 1 watt to have a long life.

The usual values found inside 240V neon bezels and illuminated switches is

150k to 220 k ohms - chosen mainly because the resistor needs to be of small physical size it and this dictates one of 0.5 or 0.25 watt rating.

The voltage across the resistor is about 200V so 150k dissipates 0.27 watts.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

bare bulb?

assume neon turns on at 90V and extinguishes around 60V.

Sinewave are 'so fast' just assume the neon is like a bidirectional zener of 60V:

First what power idssipates if there were NO neon bulb: to find R try 240*240/R=Power therefore, R=240*240/Power rule of thumb for resistors is use half their rating, so change formula to R=2*240*240/Power so a 1/4W means R = 460k, close value 470k 5% and 1/2W means R = 230k, close value 220k 5%

Now let's 'clip' the voltage that goes to the neon: as a simplistic estimate, 240-60=190, and try again R=2*190*190/Power

1/4W R = 289k 1/2W R = 144k

use 1/2W 220k, looks like won't hurt anything.

just as a check, how much power is going into the neon? current is (240-60)/220k = 0.86 mA power into the neon bulb is 60*0.86mA = approx 50 mW, so neon is not likely to burn up.

Plus, dopn't those GFI outlets limit AC current to something like less than 1 mA, so even if you get your fingers in there you're not likely to be killed.

Reply to
Robert Macy

"Robert Macy"

use 1/2W 220k, looks like won't hurt anything.

** Correct.

Plus, don't those GFI outlets limit AC current to something like less than 1 mA,

  • Trip current is normally 10mA and time to trip is 30mS for units that can be plugged in.

This is for a 240V country.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison