Add amp DVD player

I have a number of old CD/DVD players and would like to use them as test signal sources. The idea is to generate signals in software and save to the CD as a WAV files. Then I can select ready-made signals without having to set up arb gens etc. I would use only one channel.

However, there is not alot of height or spare room inside the players so I need a minimalist approach for a mono amp and its power supply.

I am looking for around 10W into 4 ohms. Being repetitive signals, fidelity is not such an issue. Of course, the amp's input would be line level from the playe'rs ordinary output.

Perhaps I could manage with a single transistor?

For the power supply, I was thinking to remove the board from a 12V 1A SMPS wall adaptor.

Could anyone please offer their comments or suggestions along these lines?

Louis Merton

Reply to
Louis Merton

Good luck on that one.

Reply to
JeffM

How much room do you have in the players? I don't know a 1-chip solution, but the National LM4950TA might get you close.? There's the amp (TO-220 9-pin, semi bitch to solder but not too bad). Then you'll need 4 small programming resistors, and a couple caps, and probably a heat sink.

It's single ended, high-efficiency, and will run on 12-volt positive supply. Only about 7 watts or so, max, so not quite what you want. But close. Check it out:

?n= ame=3DLM4950TA-ND

It's actually one of my favorite medium power audio amps. Very simple and easy to use. You could build this in about 1 cubic inch or so, maybe 1.5? 2 if you really want to heat sink it nicely.

Good luck. -mpm

Reply to
mpm