accurate angle measurement

Hi everybody,

Can anyone suggest me some idea for measuring angles up to seconds? or Where can I find the principle used by theodolites in measuring angles?

Thanks a lot

Reply to
mario

That is a bit little information. There can be optical masks with micrometer resolution. Is your problem a scientific problem to be solved once, a technical problem to be solved repeatedly or a business problem to be solved cheapest in numbers.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Wow.

Theodolites implies angle - more of less.

A rate gyro, on a chip?

default

Joerg can make it cheaper :-)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

martin griffith a écrit :

But only Philips and Infineon make that dreadfully required component.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Rene, I want to measure the angle position of a 4~6 cm radius disc. Does it help? Thanks

Rene Tschaggelar ha escrito:

Reply to
mario

Avago (was Agilent (was HP)) make some quite nice absolute and incremental encoders (14 bit). ( If you have real money there are some laser based encoders that work down to a few arc seconds, and also some rotary transformer based solutions. )

You need to specify:-

Absolute or Incremental ?

Accuracy?

Angular speed and acceleration?

Do you require 360 degree revolution ?

How much do expect to spend ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
dougfgd

A little calculation shows that a pointer/scale one-arcsecond system on the disk requires alignment precision (and also axis-of-rotation position) of 0.14 microns. That's not possible with simple light-readout systems.

For reference, a CD squeezes about 6170 bits into one degree of disk rotation, with good diffraction-limited optics and lotsa tricks (like servo-controlled tracking mechanisms). That's 1.7 bits per arcsecond of rotation.

One can just about use lightbeam interferometry to measure a triangle's sides to this precision, but it's not gonna be a simple measurement.

Reply to
whit3rd

Hi Dave,

My needings are: incremental, accuracy half second or second at most, speed 1.5 revs/sec at most, yes 360 degree, $ 500 to 700 approx Thanks

Dave ha escrito:

Reply to
mario

Add a 'k' to those values and you just might do it.

Do you really mean seconds ? To put what you've said in context, that's less than the width of a motorway measured from the centre of the earth.

- Steve

Reply to
Steve

Another way: you're asking for 1 part in 1296000 _accuracy_. Even that kind of _resolution_ is not easy.

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

Apparently you have never worked with any high resolution angle measurement systems. I can do that using 1950's technology, all gears and some tubes as needed. Back in the 1970 i saw 30 bit per revolution systems, i expect that better can be readily achieved today.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

A rotary transformer based solution is the Inductosyn (Farrand Controls

It's typically 360 speed (cycles per rev).

To encode the Inductosyn position, you can get an Inductosyn to digital converter or design your own.

In a former life we did our own encoder. Using a 16 bit ADC, we encoded position to 18 bits per degree, or about 0.01 arc-seconds. Accuracy however was not better than the Inductosyn, which was about 0.5 - 1 arc-second for IIRC a 12 inch diameter model. Achieving this level of accuracy required the use of patented calibration techniques.

Marc

Reply to
Marc Guardiani