a question about resistors in an arc experiment

this is confusion.

small, big, really big, undefined, -really big, -big, -small is similar to a graph of y= -1/x

undefined is not the same as infinite, infinite is signed, and there's nothing past infinite.

fractional symmetry, like the electron.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yes, that's right. I tried an experiment and the clamp-meter arrow does indeed show the current direction relative to, say, the transient plot polarity. So Mike's observation is not right... if you observe a current through a resistor, then flip the resistor, both the arrow and the plotted current reverse, so everything is still right.

A "flip ends" command for a 2-terminal device would be handy, though, so you could aim the arrows the most logical way.

John

walking the puppy at 3 AM

Hell of a qualifier.

Yeah, a small positive number like +0.05 beats -1. I won't name any names.

John

Oh, that part's easy. Sure, do some transient trick, or better yet simply design in the power level from the start. But transient analysis is an insane, probably impossible way to optimize temperature stability and phase noise, which lots of people really care about. We're talking parts per billion here.

John

Yes, I used to date a simple pole, and I know exactly what you mean.

John

It doesn\'t make any difference whether it worked or not, the point was
that an active negative resistance using its input signal as a supply
would be the equivalent of a passive one.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
Not for using it, for _misusing_ it.
Reply to

You mean a non-existent active circuit would be the equivalent of an equally non-existent passive component?

There's some logic to that line of reasoning, I suppose.

But as an argument in support of the idea that it's possible to construct a circuit that behaves the way a passive negative resistor would, without needing a power supply, it has an obvious limitation.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oep4mRpmrkQ&feature=related

JF
Reply to
John Fields

LTSpice only does one type of negative resistor. I think it actually converts to conductance as the first step.

One type of negative resistance is unstable for a high impedance and the other with a low impedance.

Reply to
MooseFET

--
Not at all.

For your edification:

If we use, for example, a simple, existent, and readily available neon
lamp like an NE2 (which exhibits a negative resistance characteristic)
as the passive device and bring into existence an active, two terminal
circuit which exhibits the same negative resistance characteristic then
the two will be equivalent and whether the active device needs a power
supply will be unimportant since the same supply will be used to power
the passive neon device.
Reply to
John Fields

I'm more concerned about designing circuits that actually work than debating the meanings of words. You keep doing what you do best.

You seem to be assuming that I am Master of the Universe, and resenting my superpowers. Get used to it, mortal.

John

Then you should have followed your own advice and assumed that an idiot
designed that 555 "trigger" circuit and very, very, carefully checked it
before posting it.
Reply to
John Fields

Aren't both kinds unstable if connected to a capacitor?

Imagine a SOT23-6 with pins...

V+ V- R+ R- Z+ Z-

When you connect a resistor between R+ and R-, the chip presents -R at the "Z" terminals.

We met with some LTC people last week. I suggested a couple of ICs I'd like to see... not including this one. They politely agreed, but told me that the reality of designing a linear IC isn't the presence of a good idea, it's having a launch customer who will buy a few million of them.

John

The circuit was both original and correct. It debounces a switch and obviously produces a clean positive glitch, with a minumum of parts. If somebody wants a negative glitch, it's trivial to modify. The circuit was a gift, not a challenge, and was accompanied by no personal comments of any sort.

Quit whining and post some circuits that are either original or correct. And if you do include insults and challenges, I'd suggest you make some small effort to be right, or even the skinny girls in the group will cheerfully whack you.

How's that?

John

Speaking of Lenny, the only thing by him I've actually heard didn't have any "dirty" words - he substituted the word "blah". This apparently got people more up-in-arms than if he'd said the actual "bad" words - obscenity, after all, is in the mind of the beholder. ;-)

"The man puts his blah into the woman's blahblah", that sort of thing.

Heck, the man might have brought the cloves for the ham! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Well, excuse the bloody hell out of me.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Maybe *you* were, but everyone else had a clue.

Reply to
krw

select it with the move tool and hit ctrl-R twice stick it back where you found it.

yeah it'd be nice to be able to do that with the current probe tool. Actually it'd be nice to be able to reverse the polarity anywhere the current probe can be used. (eg -ve supply of the op-amp)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

--
It was neither.

I\'ve posted that same debouncer many times, except that when I\'ve used
it to trigger 555\'s the differentiated leading edge of the switch
closure was low-going.
Reply to
John Fields