A Kenwood HF rig's "real" frequency in CW

Hi All,

This may sound like a very silly question, but what is the "true" frequency of, lets say, a Kenwood TS-530S? What I mean is, when it is said that a particular CW calling frequency is exactly "7.040MHz", then should I set the TS-530S' frequency display to 7.040MHz (in receive mode), or to 7.0392MHz (for a display of 7.040MHz during transmit) to be spot-on a designated Calling Frequency? I obviously would like to make 100% sure that I'm exactly on frequency, and not off by 800Hz, when monitoring for any CQs!

Thanks for any clarification,

-Bill

Reply to
billcalley

Hi Bill,

It sounds silly, but it isn't.

I don't know the answer with high confidence, but maybe I can help you to get it.

I "believe" that when you tune in to a station with 800 Hz beat, you will transmit on exactly the same frequency as the station that you are listening to. Make sure the RIT is in the middle or off.

You can check it yourself. Do you have a separate frequency counter (or other receiver)? If so, try to tune to a source with a known frequency (with the TS530S, for example a broadcast station or). Now you can compare the actual frequency with the reading on the TS530S and you know the difference in reading and actual transmitting frequency of other station.

Now the transmitting case Press the key (check frequency in use or use dummy load) and read the frequency from the counter, or tune with the other receiver to find out the difference in the transmitting frequency of the other station and your frequency.

I hope this will help you a bit.

I had several problems with adjusting old equipment to make sure that SSB receive and transmit (carrier) frequencies are the same.

Best Regards,

Wim PA3DJS

Reply to
Wimpie

Thanks for the info Wim. The TS-530S's actually show you only the RX frequency on the digital display dial while you tune around or sit on a frequency waiting for a CQ, and then -- but only when you transmit -- they shift the dial display (and I assume the TX frequency too) 800Hz higher. Frankly, I had thought most other radios did

*exactly* the opposite (I.E.: Their BFO's shifted the RX frequency by 800Hz or so, while their TX frequencies where as displayed on the dial

-- but I must be incorrect about that!). But I'm still hoping to understand if it is correct to set a Kenwood to "7.040MHz" on the digital display when listening to the 7.040 MHz Calling Frequency (but it then shifts 800Hz higher on TX...), or set it to 7.0392MHz (for a display of 7.040MHz during transmit with its 800Hz TX offset)? With all the Kenwood rig's out there, you'd think that someone would have the answer -- but maybe no-one has really thought about this? (Hard to believe!!).

-Bill

Reply to
billcalley

Did you read my answer??? You have an older Kenwood radio. It displays the transmit frequency only when you transmit. It displays the receive frequency the rest of the time. So set your receive at 7.0392 in receive mode. When you transmit it will then be transmitting at 7.040 as shown by the readout.

NEW radios (including new Kenwoods) display the transmit freq. at all times whether receiving or transmitting.

Dee, N8UZE

Reply to
Dee Flint

Cool Dee -- thanks for clarifying that! It was confusing the death out of me (I've been on the wrong darn frequency all this time too!).

I didn't see your original post on my Google newsreader under 'sci.electronics.design' because, for whatever weird Google reason, your response didn't cross-post).

Thanks again!

-Bill

Reply to
billcalley

Another consideration, particularly for VHF operators, is what happens when you switch from SSB to CW. For example, the TS2000 says that it always displays the carrier frequency regardless of mode. If you are on SSB and need to switch to CW becaue you have a weak signal look at what happens. If the displayed frequency is the carrier and does not change when you change mode you are now transmitting zero beat with the receiving station and he won't hear you. You actually have to tune off a bit (by the sidetone amount) so the receiving station can hear you. The TS2000 actually has a menu choice to allow the frequency to automatically make this correction if you wish. John

Reply to
John Siegel