A five-part requirement becomes a 25-part purchase.

How does five parts become 25? OK, here's the story. A project needs five identical circuit boards, but we're giving them one spare, so that's six. The effort in designing the PCB was rather substantial, and the PCB house cost for ordering 10 was the same as six, so we have 10 blank PCBs. This is good because we might be able to use this board in another project someday. There are a number of new surface-mount parts on the board, not in ordinary inventory, and it's time-consuming to order the parts, which means you only want to do it once, so certainly we're going to order at least 10 parts to populate all the PCBs, and maybe a spare part or two, plus while we're at it, checking orders, labeling inventory bottles, and etc., we'd like to have a few of these SMT parts for other projects, so the order quantity becomes 15. But upon placing the order it's discovered the price break is at 25 parts, and the price of each of the 10 parts from 15 to 25 is only 1/3 the price of the first 15 parts, well under 50 cents each, and given the time spent so far in the process, it makes good sense to get 25 parts. That's how five parts becomes 25.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Rich Grise skrev:

just like McDonalds, "you want to supersize that?" ;)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

That's nothing. I once got an order for 6 prototypes, and ordered parts from Mouser in bags of 100. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

For some things it makes some sense to order a reel of 5,000 if you need 100 or 150 for sure (and maybe more later). That's a 25:1 to

50:1 ratio, but if you fold it into development costs, it's often not very significant.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Before I found digikey shipping single quantities of the ECL chips, I was often forced to get a stick with 48 at spoerle. Not that these 48 were cheap or close to cheap.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

I agree. We buy 5% 0402 resistors in 10K reels for CDN$20. At that price it's not worth the trouble to buy less then a reel. Even when we are prototyping we will buy reels, to save the trouble of buying the same part later for production.

We are working on a six prototype build right now. I had to change a

1% resistor value (CDN$30 for a 10K reel), so the reel of the original value will not be used for the production build. In this case the buy to use ratio turned out to be 1666:1.

Greg Neff VP Engineering

*Microsym* Computers Inc. snipped-for-privacy@guesswhichwordgoeshere.com
Reply to
Greg Neff