Simple in-car PSU design?

Hello everyone.

I wonder if anybody could point me towards a simple multi-output PSU which can be run from a cars' ~12 - 14v supply? I intend to run three devices. A small digital video recorder which requires

5vDC @1A, a CMOS camera which requires 12vDC @1A, and another camera which probably requires between 5vDC and 12vDC (don't have specs to hand).

I don't need any funny auto power-off switching like the in-car ATX computer power supplies do, as I intend to leave the system running 24/7. I suspect the actual current requirements are very small. The above ratings are simply taken from the included a/c adapters. I could measure actual current usage later, but suspect the camera to be more lik 200ma, and not much more for the recorder.

Does anybody know of either a very simple schematic, or a finished product which I could buy that would run these devices?

thanks very much,

Carl

Reply to
Carl Farrington

"Carl Farrington" wrote in news:eh242v$4pf$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Given their cost, you might as well use exactly what you're reluctant to use. PSU's for mini ITX boards often go so cheaply on eBay that it's worth it, and you can ground pin 4 (I think it's pin 4, the interweb will have more certain info in ATX PSU terminals). The ones built for cars have extra filtering and reservoir caps, and they're a far better bet than trying to design one from scratch.

They even have nice wires trailing off them ready for connecting stuff.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

I guess you'll have seen this M1-ATX, but it might be worth a close look even if you have.

There's even one on eBay now too: Listing 170039597684. Lots of M2-ATX's too, one in UK (160040656843), lots in US. Looks like less than $80 or £50 will get you one of those. Cheaper to buy US even if you're in UK, probably, even after paying postage.

Jumpers to set power handling, you can probably set it always on with a combination of that, and ground pin 4, or whatever pin it is to dupe it into being on all the time.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Thank you. I have found the M1-ATX at linitx.com and for £46, it seems ideal. Apparently I can disable all the smart power-off stuff with jumpers. Perfect.

thanks ;)