9V 1A schematic needed

[snip]

The post I was responding to defined efficiency as Idc/Irms. As far as I can tell, if Idc is held constant (which is an accurate way to model a regulated linear supply) then there is only one question: Does Irms go up with capacitor value or not? I contend that it does. If I am wrong, I would very much like to be corrected.

If I am right, then efficiency, as defined by the post I was replying to, goes DOWN with larger capacitor values.

If efficiency is defined as Pout/Pin, which makes logical sense, then the results may be somewhat different, but that is not what I am talking about.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

I read in sci.electronics.design that Larry Brasfield wrote (in ) about '9V 1A schematic needed', on Sun, 20 Mar 2005:

I didn't receive this from 'Mac', so please excuse me responding here. If you ignore the resistances in the circuit, you get absurdly low conduction angles and huge peak diode currents.

It does if you start from small values, giving unrealistically high ripple levels at the output. 60 to 80% with resistances included; you would get much larger values.

I chose an inappropriate measure of efficiency for most purposes. Pout/Pin is better.

Agreed.

Yes; whatever else you do.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Larry Brasfield wrote: [..snip...]

You're the dodger pretending to have not understood that you were called due to complete the thresholding of the circuit. No one was saying that your trivial 4KTRB trash was in error- you were asked to do something with it, and you could not. But go ahead and revise the history- that would be typical of a total farce and sham like you.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

No kidding, Sherlock, do ya' think? What a damned sorry-assed p.o.s.

Why don't you post a copy here- so we can have a good laugh.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

[snip]

I'm with Larry on this one. If we draw a box around the capacitor and regulator, then the charge going into the box, integrated over one period has to equal the charge coming out of the box, integrated over one period. This is just conservation of charge.

The integral of the charge going out is fixed, because we have a linear regulator. So as we reduce the conduction angle, we must have a larger current for a shorter time, and because of the nature of the RMS calculation, it seems to me that it is impossible for Irms to go down when we do this. What am I missing?

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Mac doesn't need any help from the likes of you.

I don't think "impress" is the word for it- elementary trig integration is not all that arcane. Post it here and let us all have a looksee. What I can see so far from your generalizations of the results is that it is not very sophisticated and your understanding is pretty basic- like along the lines of "this gets longer makes this smaller" descriptive crap to be expected of a nobody.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Fields wrote (in ) about '9V 1A schematic needed', on Sun, 20 Mar 2005:

Again, in UK, asking to 'close the account' gives the bank the problem of making sure it goes to exactly 0.00, even if at 23:59:59 they add bank charges.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

--
I would appreciate seeing the waveform, and graphics (along with
supporting documentation) can be posted to

We already shot down your so-called rationale as a typical troll dodge.

Not really- we understand you all too well.

[...snip evasion and dodging...]

You are a fake- that much is clear. If you could come close to finishing the detector easily, it would have require far less than the 10,000 words of bs excuse you have since posted. You can't because you are a fake.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

PLONK Again!

Reply to
Clarence_A

average. Is that right? Im^2 is a component of Irms^2? That doesn't look "independent" to me...and when you further particularize it to the charging situation here where Im=Load Current, you are even more wildly off the mark. Hey! Link us to that learned treatise you posted in rec.audio- we want to see more of your "wisdom". Or do you prefer to keep dodging on that one too?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Is this what you're talking about?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I wouldn't bet on that. Evidence is that Fred knows a lot is not any sort of dummy when he stays on his meds. There also seems to be some evidence that he doesn't like you.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Active8 wrote: [...]

I quote "Errors in our favour are not errors"

Have you ever had a bank give you extra money?

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

....should be in that Irms^2 expression.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

"Active8" wrote

"SABER" is not free! BUT LTspice is! same result. ALSO: Three other Engineers verified my finding.

I do not use three terminal regulators, they do not work well with 100 volt plus inputs or from -55C to 125C!

Besides, No problem with the power supply. Did replace the POR though, it oscillated at high temp! (Not my design)

Reply to
Clarence_A

Ooooh my- am I reeling from the insult of being P-LONKED by such a personage....

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I had a bank in San Jose credit my account for over $400 that wasn't mine, in 1968.

Told them about it, they said they'd correct their error.

This went on for months with no correction.

When I went back to Motorola I closed the account and walked with the money ;-)

...Jim Thompson

are

currents

John, leakage inductance in rectifier transformers is a subject of interest to me. I am moving house right now and I need time to collect my thoughts anyway, so I would like to post or email you in a week or two when I can make more sense.

Roger Lascelles

Reply to
Roger Lascelles

Big damn difference between your weak Savg

Reply to
Fred Bloggs