7th grader needs help with electronics design project

I've only had one keyboard go bad in 25 years and it was 17 years old at the time. I did replace its replacement (was the same age) because I needed to switch to a USB keyboard.

I used to collect keyboards from the hallways. People would have their PCs and RS6000s replaced and junk the old keyboards. The old ones are far better keyboards, if not quite as clean.

--
Keith
Reply to

I saw one in an airlines catalog (flights are really boring these days - getting home isn't always) that launched a helicopter when it sounded and didn't shut off until you found the stupid thing and replaced it back on the clock. ...or threw the whole mess out window, I suppose.

--
Keith
Reply to

Keyboards are easy to clean: Two spray bottles, one with household ammonia, the other distilled water. Stand it up, almost vertical and spray a fine mist of ammonia to soften the crud. Let it sit for five to ten minutes and spray again. When the crud starts running off the keycaps and case, switch to the distilled water. Then let it dry for a couple days. I usually do a dozen at a time, so by the time I reach the last one, its time for the next round with a sprayer.

--
My sig file can beat up your sig file!
Reply to

I've got several keyboards here - my main one was so dirty, you couldn't see the letters on the keys, which didn't bother me because I touch-type. But I had another one on another computer, that was relatively clean, but skipped some letters.

So, I washed them. Under a running very warm tap, with dish soap and a scrub brush. Rinsed them, took the air hose to them, and hung up to dry.

They're good as new. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My idea would be a "remote" that turns it off permanently. The "parts" required can be purchased at any gun dealer.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

I've used Windex (same principle, I suppose). I've found that all the key caps have to come off too. The things crawling around amongst the keys is pretty disgusting. It's not all that easy to do right (and always leave a spare assembled).

--
Keith
Reply to

Household ammonia is stronger, so I rarely have to remove the caps.

I do it long before I need the keyboard. When the box of dirty keyboards is full, it's time to do a batch.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gotta pull the caps to get the hair and dead pizza from between the keys.

Gotta leave one assembled to figure out how to put the others back together. ;-) Kinda like the way I replaced brake shoes (though haven't done it in a decade or two).

--
Keith
Reply to

If it's that bad you need an air compressor.

The only time I take a keyboard aprt is when it is dead, or has a large block of dead keys. I save the good cords from the dead keyboards, and sometimes I have a good spare when the cord is damaged.