7th grader needs help with electronics design project

Don't bet too low on 7th grade. At 14 i built my own low power stereo with mag. phono, tuner and aux inputs, tape loop, 3 band tone controls, specifications, design, pwb, PS and cabinet with labeled front panel controls.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yep. By that age I was building power amplifiers from scratch... chassis punching for tube sockets, etc. But I built Preamp and FM Tuner from kits... Dynaco PAT-4 and FM-3.

...Jim Thompson

Good for you on your project and your involvement with your 7th grader's education. Several suggestions have been made, and a couple have posted links to sites that might help. I have another link for you that is a bit more affordable, and offers schematics to help you wire it up.

offers an RF control system, with both Tx and Rx components and a schematic that shows how to wire everything up. It offers 8 separate control circuits so you should be able to completely control your clock from the remote. You'll have to buy the switches/keyboard, relays etc., but the major components are in the kit.

Just open your clock, get access to the switches, wire the relay contacts in place of the clock's switches, and you're in business.

Let us know how your project goes.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn\'t any difference between theory and practice.  In
practice, there is."  - Yogi Berra
Reply to
DaveM

Then you should have hundreds of them.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Mar 1, 4:16=EF=BF=BDpm, Jim Thompson

I thought back then at that age, you guys were still building the pyramids..? :)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

If I understand what she is trying to build, you could put the alarm clock where the remote would be and then run the speaker back to where the clock was.

Reply to
stu

I think the idea is that the remote is mounted some distance away from the bed, forcing the person to get out of bed to turn it off. Of course I could be wrong.

Reply to
stu

What a difference a decade makes, i was mostly transistors and early op-amps. My 3 years older brother built a VTVM, Audio and RF signal generators from kits about a year before. Next i helped him build a 60 Watt transistor guitar amp with all controls, bright, fuzz, tremolo, and reverb (Gibbs type) from a kit. Great fun for 1965.

Reply to
JosephKK

Just our earlier incarnations. 8*)

Reply to
JosephKK

NTE2060 & NTE2061 Integrated Circuit PMOS LSI Alarm Clock Circuit

Reply to
Andy

By 1958 I had built my fist transistor audio power amp... though it was only 10 Watts.

...Jim Thompson

of

Also a good accomplishment. Were you in college by then? I was still in Jr. high in 1965.

Reply to
JosephKK

Nah - for that you'd just put the clock on a pie tin on the other sice of the room. I think the remote's for Dad or Mom. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Was it your left fist, or your right? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

of

I built it in the summer of 1958 and took it with me to my first semester at MIT (I attended MIT from Sept '58 and graduated June '62)

...Jim Thompson

I just noticed that myself ;-)

I've got to replace this keyboard... it's developing keys that don't always make contact, yet leave words that pass spell checker... sometimes of high hilarity ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Why do you think I have so many spares? At the first sign of trouble, it gets replaced. I do have about 200 spares right now. It's amazing how many times I pick up one computer, with four or more keyboards. Friday, I picked up one computer, seven printers, and five keyboards. I'm starting to see a lot of laser printers.

OTOH, I happen to find replacement cords for a lot of otherwise dead keyboards from the box of junkers.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
Clinton?
Reply to

He said, High!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The spell-checker song:

I have a spelling checker. It came with my pea sea. It plane lee marks four my re-view Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Iran this poem threw it. Your sure lee glad two no. It is core wrecked in every weigh, My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing. It freeze yew lodes of thyme. It helps me right stiles ewe can reed, And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen Is trussed two bee a joule. The checker pours o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checkers Hour spelling mite decline, If wee R lacks oar have a laps, We wood bee maid two wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, There are know faults with in my cite, Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me, It does knot bring a tier. My pay purrs awl due glad den With words sew fare too here.

To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should bee proud, And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws R knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear four pea seas, And why eye brake in 2 averse With righting sure too please.

Reply to
Guy Macon