5kV 40uA from 120VAC

They don't have 5kV and those are more like gimmicks. We had one or two, presents from some event. Lasted about as many hours (or minutes) as those AA-battery driven "hand fans".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

PIC:

The trick to getting a B grade or better was to carefully rotate the pencil while drawing the lines.

John

I hope you disposed of it carefully, so it didn't fall into innocent hands.

John

Those of us of the "old school" have multiple semesters of "mechanical drawing" under our belts. In the summer of 1955 I captured first places in ALL of the drafting categories at the Southern West Virginia Craftsmen Fair competition ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, but you're an engineer, after all, whereas I'm a physicist. We're required to do more math in public, and we do a lot less routine work in school--the typical engineering problem set is 50 difficult but otherwise routine problems, whereas the typical physics one is three to five insanely difficult ones. A talented undergrad can usually manage them on his own, but in grad school a good study group is an absolute necessity.

It's true, that produces some impractical folks and some arrogant ones, but it also encourages "thinking it out to the absolute ruddy end" and accounting for all the second order effects, which has made all the difference to me in my work. Since I managed to pick up engineering on my own, I don't especially miss drafting.

And my schematics are fine. John was just pulling my chain.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

This is yet another proof that Larkin is an immature little bitch.

If you were ever treated the way you treat others, your rotting corpse would have been worm food decades ago, I am quite sure.

How can you live so long, yet be so goddamned immature?

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I posted an HV supply for a PMT for the F-4.

It would not be hard at all to get it to make 5kV, AND it runs from DC, so use a wall dongle, AND that is safer anyway than having the AC line right there near the circuit.

That circuit fits on a less than 1.5 inch round PCB and gets potted in a small can. Needs no heat sink. It would easily run even at like 6 Volts with that low of an output current requisite.

One needs only watch out to keep capacitance in the output low as that can make it spike past 40uA into a momentary load, like FLESH.

If you want only 40uA, be sure to use low value caps in any multiplier stages and certainly any storage stage. You have to make sure the regulation loop operated tightly as well, as slow coverage can also cause an overshoot (of voltage in this case).

I have a supply where I have a feedback loop on the output, but I also actively clamp over-current transient loading as well, so it has a voltage regulation feedback loop, and a current regulation feedback loop. I cannot post that one, as it belongs to a customer (the entire design) The supply makes 15kV at like 40uA, but we limit it to 11uA because it goes into a medical device that has the possibility of making contact

*inside* the mouth. The whole thing could fit like 6 of them in a pack of cigarettes.

Just add about two or three more multiplier stages and 5kV is easy.

Of course, this is 100% regulated. It would be even easier to make 5kV current limited to 40uA, but the voltage could (would) vary wildly.

Reply to
Duke

That's kind of hard to read. What's the opamp do?

John

[snip]
1955 was the summer before I entered high school :-)

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Jul 2011 14:05:14 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

PIC:

mm do not remember throwing it away, it must be somewhere in a box of chips. Maybe a little altar could be build around it if it ever surfaces again. But.. OTOH.. I would keep it, my old trio analog scope uses one in the timebase, already replaced it ones. I am not against 555 timers, it is just like a nut or bolt, but I cannot understand why somebody would make a religion out of it. PICs are so much more useful as 'standard component' (or any other FLASH based small micro).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Schoen"

a HV =3D

=3D

=3D

by a PIC:

too.

=20

That would be nice if it actually showed up in your drawings.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

PIC:

Our released schematics are all properly bordered and titled.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/22SS346A.pdf

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/28S910D.pdf

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/22S220A_20.pdf

Show us some of your schematics.

John

That "simple" title block is indicative of your simplicity.

Learn to snip, dip.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Tell us why.

John

PIC:

Tell me more about the "power test connector". Do you really put connectors in one pin at a time and connect by reference?

You seem to do a lot of connections by reference. My co-conspirator likes doing that. I hate it. The techs agree with me, BTW.

Reply to
krw

=

PIC:

How else are you going to do off-page references?

As far as the power test connector goes, I just prefer to have all connector pins close together, instead of scattered all over the sheet or possibly sheets.

If a connector services, say, 16 ADC channels on multiple sheets, we'll put a couple of pins on each sheet, which makes more sense, like in the "220" schematic above.

What I don't do is just name a net, and name it on another sheet, and assume they are connected. If the net isn't entirely local, we show an explicit off-page connection.

John

HV =

PIC:

Oh, they looked like connection by reference, not off-page connectors. Still, individual connector pins?

Well, yeah! I prefer them in one component, with further preference for a component that looks something like the connector.

Agreed. I thought there were signals on that page connected by reference.

Sure, I was talking about even local nets. If they're connected they should be shown connected.

Reply to
krw

What does U3 do?

Reply to
JW

John discussed this a few weeks (?) ago. It's to protect U4 (current limit).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany