Using 120VAC on a 100VAC relay coil?

I'm making something of a motor controller to run a motor.

I bought a surplus relay that has a coil voltage rating of 100VAC. Obviously I would like to run it on 120VAC. I don't have the relay in front of me so I can't say what the resistance is.

The relay is made by Omron.

Would it be harmful to run the relay directly on 120VAC? Is there a significant tolerance on the voltage rating?

If not, I have been told to just try different resistor values by connecting them and testing with a volt meter across the coil because it is an inductive load.

Thoughts? The coil will have to be on for several minutes at a time with a duty cycle of perhaps 80% sometimes.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.