556 dual timer problem

I have used a 556 dual timer to build a motorbike indicator lights flasher for a friend. The first timer is arranged as a 30 second one shot which enables the second timer which is arranged as a 1 sec astable to flash the indicators. When the first timer is triggered, the second operates for about 30 secs - the circuit is straight out of the applications section of the data sheet. I have built two identical circuits, one for the left and one for the right indicators and operated by a SPDT momentary switch.

There is one problem though. When it is first powered up, the one shot timers trigger and both the indicators flash for the 30 second interval. After that it functions as normal. When first starting up this is a minor inconvenience but if he stalls the bike and restarts then it happens again and as he says 'is a bloody pain in the ass'.

So, is there a way to ensure the 30 second one shots do not trigger at power up?

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

On a sunny day (Fri, 04 Dec 2009 16:43:05 +0000) it happened Ian Bell wrote in :

Sure, use a PIC. LOL

1 PIC, for everything.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I had thought of that originally but I would need to by a development board and learn to program it. A 556 design was quicker and cheaper. As I have made and built a PCB for my friend I am hoping a simple fix is available. If not, then I will PIC it.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Do you PIC your nose with them too?

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Switch the trig and threshold pins, and the polarity used to drive them. Or it may be as simple as changing which supply rail the trigger cap is referenced to.

Tim

Tim Williams

On a sunny day (Fri, 4 Dec 2009 11:01:28 -0600) it happened "Tim Williams" wrote in :

You can use a Z80 if you want.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:00:45 +0000) it happened Ian Bell wrote in :

Well ,I am not a 555 man, maybe you can clamp the output that drives the transistors ? with a transitor or 2, drive the base from a RC from the +.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Just a guess without seeing your circuit, try slowing the Vcc rise until the trigger input has risen. Or hold trigger high untill Vcc is stable. Can you post your circuit? Mike

Reply to
amdx

A solution would be to put an Resistor + capacitor from Vcc to GND , the capacitor on the lower half and the midpoint to the RESET pin(s) of the 556. That way there is a small time delay before the RESET line goes high.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

No "use a PIC" posts without a full schematic and code listing, as well as an offer to use your own $150 development system to program the thing for him.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A 10 uF or so cap from the reset input (pin 4 or 10, whichever) to ground, with, say, a 47K resistor to +.

This is a very easy hack; try it and report back, OK?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On a sunny day (Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:39:27 -0800) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

Look, dude, I could have written 'micro'. You will have to face the fact that lots of analog stuff can be done much easier in a PIC or some other, possibly less easy to obtain, less easy to program, with a more complicated instruction set, less reliable, more power hungry OTHER micro.

As far as 'development system' in this case you show no clue again, I do not have a PIC 'development system', I use a noppp programmer (less then 3 $ in parts), and gpasm (free) on a Linux (free) PC, and my tools are a scope and DVM. And I can program anything I want. So, before you spit out 'me want diagram, me want code, me want your time, me want all for free', learn to program. The most I think anyone should do here is show some pseudo code. All the asm and other code I have published here is a *gift*, and up to you to equal that, if you can. And finally you do not make the rules.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Oh, don't take yourself so damn seriously. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On a sunny day (Fri, 04 Dec 2009 12:10:32 -0800) it happened Rich Grise wrote in :

Oh, well, I was just trying to help ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yabbut, I don't think Zilog makes 300 mil DIPs. My nose isn't this big,

Could fit a 40 pin DIP in that guy!

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

How about an AVR that runs direct off the battery ? no Vregs needed....

Reply to
TTman

On a sunny day (Fri, 4 Dec 2009 21:21:37 -0000) it happened "TTman" wrote in :

AVR runs on 12V?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:03:34 -0600) it happened "Tim Williams" wrote in :

I get: Flash Player 9 or later required to view this video. Please visit Adobe to get the latest version of the Flash Player.

I think this is a bad site, as I do have flash, too many popups too. But google shows the pic... SORRY google shows the picture. hehe

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I wonder - is there a version where I can write the program in, say, C or BASIC, and upload it to the chip with nothing more than a breadboard and serial port? (i.e., no $150.00 dev. kit?)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks Rich; a couple of people have now mentioned that mod - reset is tied directly to Vcc right now so holding it low until things have settled down seems like a good solution. I'll get the PCB back from my friend and try it out.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell