Timer Question

Anyone make an off-the-shelf timer that I can trigger and it'll run for X-hours then operate a relay?

Or do I have to roll my own? ...Jim Thompson

Den tirsdag den 3. juni 2014 01.43.22 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

ebay delay timer, there's probably thousands to choose from

or

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

--
http://www.grainger.com/search?searchQuery=timer
Reply to

I want something I can _trigger_, preferably _retriggerable_, off the shelf. I could do my own, but I'm lazy ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Aha! That may be perfect! ...Jim Thompson

Nope! I need up to 23 hours :-( ...Jim Thompson

120vac/dp/69H7951

You'll also need a socket..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Den tirsdag den 3. juni 2014 02.39.29 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

digikey also have lots to choose from, like this 0-100h

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

At that price, I roll my own ;-) ...Jim Thompson

All he's using it for is to put a telemarketer on hold for 23 hours before he disconnects...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Den tirsdag den 3. juni 2014 03.34.18 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

sure it can be build much cheaper, but you'll have to put zero value on your own time to make it worth it to make one

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

This is a classic industrial control component, there are thousands of variations. The retriggerable thing constrains the number of modules that will work for this case, but I'm pretty sure that many of the modules have such an option.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Start with something like this for $5.00:

and add whatever roll your own trigger you want. Plug a wall wart into it to power the relay.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Yes, I use these exact units all the time. For mission critical apps, you can double them.

Reply to
haiticare2011

How do you _retrigger_ a mechanical timer ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

You can buy them. I'd start with Panasonic- they're cheaper than omron, and usually less complex to deal with.

their support is complete garbage though, not that you'd need it for a timer. Keep in mind that programming the digitals ones can be infuriating and involves map folded, poorly translated, japanese sofware logic with bonus 7 other irrelevant dead languages datasheets.

here's the start page

If accuracy is not critical, the versions with dial are easy.

these things tend to be cheapest off ebay of all places. Grainger will take you for a serious ride if you go that route.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Everyone is missing that key word "trigger". I need to hit it with a pulse and have it run for X-hours, then reset... and wait for the next trigger.... maybe just a pile of 74HC283's ...Jim Thompson

yes, you can trigger any of these, they're fully electronic- even the ones with the clear knob.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Give its knob another twist.

Reply to
krw

Not many 'retriggerable' ones there. Roll your own, 1sec oscilliator fed into a couple of 4017's? I have a simple one that does 2 4 &8 hrs.

Martin Riddle