555 easter egg

Dave demonstrated a nice easter egg in the 555. I can reproduce it at a harmonic frequency. And you can learn a bit about ground loops:

Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
piano and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss
Reply to
Frank Buss

Please 'splain.. dial-up is not conducive for videos.

Reply to
Robert Baer

For slow connections you can use a trick: start the YouTube video, then press pause and wait until it is loaded, which you can see at the bar at the bottom of the video. Then it plays without freezing.

If this doesn't work, or if you still have to pay for the kB: Dave Jones showed that a standard astable circuit with a 555 starts to generate a PWM modulated signal near 55.5 kHz, if you don't connect the control voltage pin 5. When demodulated with a lowpass filter, it is a nice and clean sinus with 55.5 Hz. I showed this for 111 kHz and 111 Hz. It starts at 104 kHz :-)