Older tape & reel, does it protect better than loose (bulk)?

Folks,

Got numerous tape & reel stacks for frequently used passives, mostly

0805. The older kind, white paper-like with the parts in their li'l dungeons and some milky plastic tape above. Mostly pre-RoHS, meaning leaded. Solderability has never been an issue even after decades (early adopter). But taoe & reel gets old, uses lots of space and it takes longer to get at a 0.01u cap than reaching into a bin. So I am thinking about ripping them all open and dumping the parts into vials, paper pouches and pill containers.

Or does such old tape & reel still protect against oxidizing effects?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I highly doubt it. ESD can be an issue for some of these parts, though. I use something like these for my parts stock for the bench:

Having the containers all the same size helps storage a lot.

Reply to
krw

Den fredag den 15. april 2016 kl. 21.46.13 UTC+2 skrev Joerg:

why not take out what you think you are going to use in some reasonable time and leave the rest on reels stored somewhere?

instead of some random containers, how bout something like this:

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I have lots of those for shipping stuff to clients. But ever since people died in the Duesseldorf airport because of burning plastics I try to minimize polyester use.

Yes. I bought some cartons of 2" by 3" coin envelopes. Carton-strength paper, no ESD and they stack nicely in flat drawers. A problem is that like with the ESD-safe pouches you can't read labels unless you pick them up or pull them out. Vials and pill boxes are easier because you can label the tops. I wish there was a sale at the Dollar store of Monday-Sunday morning-lunch-evening pill sorters. I'd buy the whole lot. But I am at a point in life where I'd preferably not buy more stuff than I already have.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Use coin envelopes.

You can take notes on the back, or tape on the Digikey label, whatever

 Click to see the full signature

That little bit of plastic isn't going to matter a bit, given the world is made of plastic anymore.

I worry about paper absorbing water. I pulled a bunch of papers out of our safe, almost dripping wet. Even the cash was soggy. I bought some silica-gel containers for the safe but that's a (more or less) closed environment.

They take a lot more space. I put the envelopes in storage bins so I only have to search through a few. The bins also have larger parts, connectors and such, not in envelopes.

Reply to
krw

Those sorts of things are nice but what about adding another value a year down the road?

Reply to
krw

I got a bunch of small colored coin envelopes from JAM Paper and notebook p ages with same size pouches to put them into a large binder. I use the co lors to break down the resistors into decade ranges. Same for the caps, fet s and tx's in different sections. I then put on the digi-key labels or mad e my own Avery labels with the part numbers for re-ordering. One big note book instead of digging thru bins to find small parts that I need for a pro ject.

Reply to
alan.yeager.2013

ly

ng

Moisture in the safe adds to content survivability in a fire of course the other extreme promotes mold & mildew.

Reply to
alan.yeager.2013

I've used very old parts at times with no detectable problems. I've had problems with the cover tape coming loose, so parts can spill when the cover tape gets too aggressively pulled by the feeder. I've had other cases where the polyolefin reels (vacuum formed) start to break apart.

But, the components usually seem just as solderable as new ones.

Vials? Oh, I guess you don't have a P&P machine, then.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I use the plastic binder pages designed for holding baseball cards. Each one will hold a lot of parts in cut tape, and there's plenty of space to write on. Plus there are 12 pockets per side of each page, and they're super cheap.

Newark sells pages that have much narrower slots, good for 50 SOT23s or so, about 10 to the page. They're more durable but much more expensive.

You can solve the problem of inserting new values by not filling up all the spaces the first time round.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Smelly documents aren't good. Of course no money is bad. ;-) The guns are stainless but that much water isn't a good idea for them either.

Reply to
krw

The problem is you can't load a P&P machine with vials... Sure it is not a problem if you don't have one and not going to in foreseable future but once you have a machine you becoame obsessed on getting everything on reels :))

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Sergey Kubushyn

I keep everything that's going to the PnP machine on reels (the CM can deal with a few parts on cut tape but it gets to be a PITA). The parts I put in envelopes (though there are some pretty good alternate ideas here) are for debug, rework, and such.

Reply to
krw

For that purpose SMTZone (or whatever they called) SMD organizers are a pleasure. I mean those they use to put their resistor/capacitor kits in. I have full 1% 1206/0805/0603/0402 resistor kits and same size ceramic capacitor kits as well as 10 or so their empty organizers filled with everything else. Organizers are not cheap but they are very good, each having many compartments (256? Don't remember -- full set of E96 resistors from 1 Ohm to 10 MOhm fits in 3 organizers,) all compartments with closures flat space on each for labels, not big, stack on each other, firmly closed when in storage mode so you can shake/turn them any way without mixing all their content in an unsortable mess etc.

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Sergey Kubushyn

I use Uline 4x6 4mil pink esd bags. I cut strips of components, maybe

10 so per strip. Fold over the top and put a paper clip on it. You can write on them with a sharpie or use an address label or masking tape.

Lots of places have the bags. I just happened to be ordering some other stuff from Uline and picked up a box from them. Not cheap but I'm set for a long long time with a 1000 per box.

<

Chisolm
Republic of Texas
Reply to
Joe Chisolm

Time to get the safe out of the flooded basement :-)

I write the part value on top so I can (somewhat) thumb through. Another advantage of paper envelopes, you don't need a sticker or Sharpie.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Or glue coin envelopes to half a manila folder, punch and file into the binder.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Question is, would that still be the case if I had broken them out of the reels 10 years ago?

No, just for lab work. But P&P can handle bulk since almost forever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's what I am doing now but I'd like to get rid of those big spools. In a vial the parts consume way less space.

I have some of those. Gets expensive and also I don't like too much PVC in the house.