4x8 or 4x10 character LCD?

Are these made? If not, available surplus?

Package size cannot be changed and will not take typical LCD's of 2 x 16/20 (or larger).

Don't want graphic lcd if possible - too much uC oomph and coding needed, I think.

Reply to
_

How many do you need?

Reply to
linnix

Depending on the particular controller for a graphic LCD, that might not be the case... we're presently using a 120x32 unit (turned into 20x4 characters) where the controller organizes the memory as 4 "pages" (rows) of 120 bytes... and each byte you send ends up displayed "verticallly" (as a column), with the pixels turned on or off based on which bits are set in the byte (as you'd expect). Although you do need to keep a font around (just as, e.g., a big array if you're using C), the actual code that deals with keeping track of cursor positions and turning ASCII into bitmaps something like 100 lines of C -- I wrote and tested it in a couple of hours. While strictly speaking it does require more uC "oomph" -- you're sending six bytes to the controller for each character rather than 1 -- it's an utterly trivial amount of CPU time in either case.

(Granted, if you want to start taking advantage of the graphic LCD and draw circles or whatever, surve, that's more time and code... but if you're just looking to use a graphic LCD as a text-output device, the point is that it can still be very fast and easy to do.)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Limits on memory and chip speed (for extremely long battery life) make text mode much more appealing.

How big is your 120x32 unit? I am looking for something about 1.5 inches square; could be a bit taller than wide but about that size max.

Reply to
_

One/two/half-a-dozen maybe...

Reply to
_

Anything interesting here?

They do one small display

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Hi there,

This is 2 1/8" x 1 1/18" x 1/4", although the active display area is ~2"x3/4". It's a custom LCD with a milspec temperature range (read: not at all cheap); the controller is an ST7565P, which seems relatively popular.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Does it really work at 200C? Or just survive it?

Reply to
linnix

It'll die long before then... it's actually the other end of the spectrum (cold) where it performs considerably better than regular commercial offerings: At -12C it still works "well" (decent contrast, fast pixel updates, etc.), and survives down to -57C.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

may be some answers here for you:

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Thanks Don.

Nice stuff on that site; spent quite a bit of time wwillfing.

Reply to
_