Temperature Range of LCD (or other display)

I'm developing a product that will have a very small LCD (or other comparable display)... We are planning to do a segmented display. (Size 1.5"x1")

It's required that the LCD work over the temperature range of -40C -

85C... I have not seen any LCD's that go down to -40C.

I don't have enough power to use a heater. I have 21mW available for my micro, some analog cicuitry, some comm's circuitry, and the LCD. So the LCD has to operate on minimal power.

Is this possible...? What's the lowest temperature anyone has seen a display rated to?

Thanks...

Reply to
MuffinMan

What sort of ambient light conditions will you be working with?

Will a LCD need a backlight to be visible?

Hal Murray

No backlight

No reliable ambient light... could be mounted in a closed panel...

thanks....

Reply to
MuffinMan

Reply to
zwsdotcom

The problem is your power consumption... The lowest power LCD's, are the traditional passive designs. Unfortunately, these are also amongst the worst for low temperature performance. Basically the update slows as the liquid crystal nears freezing. The lowest temperature rated LCD's I know, support -40C, but required more power than your total available, being TFT designs,or FSTN designes based on polysilicon. Other low temperature displays working down to your requirements, use other tehnologies (LED, VFD etc.), which all need more power...

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

On Jun 21, 3:51 pm, "Roger Hamlett"

TN *does* go down to -40 though. The OP didn't spec a response time...

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Have you thought about an OLED? Power consumption compared to TFT&STN? It depends on how the panel is used. Under the condition that the backlight is fully turned on, STN & TFT will consume around 200 mW, and OLED is 20~50 mW, so the latter is much more power-saving.

However temp specs are much the same as LCD's, around -20 celcius to +70 celcius.

Perhaps this will give you the power you need for a heater, if the specs are so tight.

have a look at:

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

I would be surprised if you found an LCD that would cope with 85C, the physics of liquid crystals having such a large temp range would be very OT. Having said that having a heater on the back side of the inside glass using a TiO2 film should be do-able. I have a little book called "Liquid Crystals: Natures Delicate phase of matter" by Peter J. Collings Princeton University press 1990 that will get you better informed. However all this stuff has moved along a lot in the last 17 years. Try contacting some manufacturers.

regards Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Tweddle